What's new
What's new

hardinge hlv-h value and estimate Help !

Definitely some belt and pulley noise going on.
Stupid to run that collet loose like that!

Looks fairly clean and well tooled.
Needs new way scrapers.

Certainly worth more than the 1600 Euro.

I bought a similair one, i think slightly better condition in germany arround 4000,- euro

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Lenovo TB-8704X met Tapatalk

These machines can get worn out and become very expensive to repair. It is impossible to tell from pictures how worn it is.

If not too worn out, it should be worth around 10 thousand Euros including the auction fee, loading fee and VAT. If the lathe is perfect, like new except for paint wear, then double that. The 40 position size A tool post set, if in good condition, is worth around 700 Euros by itself unless it is the Chinese copy. The collets and chucks, if in good condition, are probably worth around 500 Euros.

I noticed they did not state the electrical voltage and I do not know how many choices of voltage the Germans have. These lathes have special precision balanced motors, so do not plan on replacing the motor.

If you want a steady rest, follow rest and taper attachment, they will be expensive and hard to find in Europe.

English version of auction listing: ▷ HARDINGE HLV-H High-speed precision lathe: buy used

Larry

I would pay e1600 for that in a heartbeat, bu tI'll wager that the price is going to a long way up.

There's some pulley rattle at speed which might just be the globe bearing on the adjuster mechanism but is probably the hub of the vari-speed cones worn. Doesn't sound bad.

Your biggest fear is the inside of the apron. Depending what coolant has been used, the gears in there might be in very poor condition. At least the clutches work which is a good sign.

BTW the advert says HLV-H but the tag says KL-1. Could it be that KL-1 is the European designation for a metric HLV-H?

Always difficult to tell from pictures, but that machine looks like it is in good condition, and not abused, from the photos.
a)it is an older model (round lever knobs and large carriage speed box)

It seems the British-made Hardinge was different. That machine seems to have all the serial number >5000 features -except- for the feeds control box. The knobs on the side of the headstock are likely not original.

There is lots of good tooling in that lot. I'd put an even higher value on that Multifix set, due to the number of toolholders, as long as it is either Swiss, French or German made.

The label says 380V, which is standard 3ph voltage in Europe.

Hardinge UK originally used (cast iron body) 0.5/1.5hp Newman motors, made in Yate, Bristol, UK. There were only 2 voltage choices in the factory, 220v (usually for France) or for UK and other parts of Europe such as Germany, the motors were dual voltage, 380/440v. Around 1975 another make of motor was introduced, (die cast alloy) 0.7/2.0hp Brown Boveri. These were lighter weight motors,but more awkward to get into alignment due to having a fixed position spacer system for the pulley, and they made a most awful yowling noise when starting.

PS. I cannot see the advert, or the pictures that you boys are talking about so I can only speak from my experience from working at Hardinge UK. The power feed control boxes on the tailstock end of the machine was originally a cast iron job. These were changed later for aluminium castings.

The HLV-H "top half" (bed, headstock, carriage, cross-slide, toolpost, tailstock) was also used for the UK's KL-1 designated build - they were interchangeable. Only the pedestal unit (bottom half with electrics panel, motor, speed control etc) were updated to become KL-1. This pedestal assembly was basically copy-drawn from American spec drawings sent to us direct from our USA bosses (Elmira, NY?) I was the draughtsman who copied and modified the drawings to suit our UK manufacture, I remember it pretty well!

Regards, Barry.

Back