What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV Narrow Bed Steadyrest

rpseguin

Stainless
I bought this steadyrest along with some other tooling.
It looks like it is for the narrow bed HLV.

704d3ad38b22570752dce1a6dfea6899.jpg

ba6fe6d2c0f4ce6775c14aae1f369a39.jpg

4628d66784b0b392066ea78a22c3629a.jpg

What is it worth?
Anybody have an HLV-H steadyrest they want to trade?
Or buy it?

Does it say Hardinge on it anywhere? My first guess it is aftermarket or for a similar but not Hardinge machine. This is only a guess but I will be willing to bet at least a plugged nickle that Larry knows for sure.

Does it say Hardinge on it anywhere? My first guess it is aftermarket or for a similar but not Hardinge machine. This is only a guess but I will be willing to bet at least a plugged nickle that Larry knows for sure.

I didn’t find any stamps or labels on it, so I’m guessing you’re probably right, considering how most of their stuff is stamped or labeled somehow.

Strange that they would make a narrow bed one.
I guess I don’t know the relative abundance of narrow bed versus wide bed.
I would love to hear what Larry and others say.

Lack of a stamp or casting mark is not absolute proof. My "clue" is that my steady rest for my 9 inch South Bend has more features (adjusting screws for the fingers). Right now I still would not bet 2 plugged nickles on my guess.

It is a Hardinge steady rest. There is one on eBay now.

I have never had one for a 5" bed, but here are pictures of the HLV-H and DV59 steadies, which are quite similar.

Hardinge did not mark their steadies. They only stamped their name on machined (not scraped) surfaces and almost never cast their name into the iron.

Larry

HLVH steady 1 1.JPG HLVH steady 1 2.JPG DV59 steady 2 1.JPG DV59 steady 2 2.JPG

Went back and looked at my first reply and I guess I win, Larry did know. Not sure what I was betting on on the second.

Compared to the others RP Seguin's looks like NOS, no signs of use.

The paint is significantly different than the one I have, but otherwise looks very much like Hardinge. I think I can dig mine out if you'd like to see pictures.

Now about those taper attachments...?

The paint is significantly different than the one I have, but otherwise looks very much like Hardinge. I think I can dig mine out if you'd like to see pictures.

Yes please!

Now about those taper attachments...?

Those are definitely Hardinge.
I’m going to clean them up and install one on my HLV-H, but I will have to redo the DRO scale mounting since they used the T-slot to mount the scale.

Those are definitely Hardinge.
I’m going to clean them up and install one on my HLV-H, but I will have to redo the DRO scale mounting since they used the T-slot to mount the scale.

I've no doubt that they are! It's my understanding that the attachments differ between the ones made for the HLV and HLV-H, but that they may be adaptable. With any luck someone here knows about that. I don't have a taper attachment for my HLV, yet...

I'll see if I can get to my steady rest soon. Yours, presuming it was made by Hardinge, has almost certainly been re-painted.

I've no doubt that they are! It's my understanding that the attachments differ between the ones made for the HLV and HLV-H, but that they may be adaptable. With any luck someone here knows about that. I don't have a taper attachment for my HLV, yet...

I'll see if I can get to my steady rest soon. Yours, presuming it was made by Hardinge, has almost certainly been re-painted.

The taper attachments are different. A narrow bed attachment has to be raised and spaced away from the T-slot to work on a wide bed. The wide bed attachment will not adapt to a narrow bed. I have one of each type for sale. Here are some pictures to show the difference. Neither attachment has a Hardinge name on it.

The black one for the narrow bed is complete, but someone replaced the gib with aluminum. Should be cast iron. The HLV-H attachment is missing the T-bolts and slider assembly. Here are a so-so drawing of the slider and a picture of the T-bolt from the HLV attachment. Send a PM if you want prices for either attachment.

Larry

DSC02887.jpg DSC02886.jpg Taper Attachment Shoe-1.jpg DSC00555.jpg

Back