What's new
What's new

Replacement bearings for the M head spindle pulley.

browniesharp

Aluminum
I’m replacing the bearings in the spindle pulley of an M head and am uncertain as to the proper replacement bearing. My internet searching indicates that a pair of 6206 bearings is the usual replacement. However the identification on the original bearings is NORMA XH123. Before removing them,each of the bearing pair has “thrust” visibly inscribed. I would then assume that these bearings are mounted “face to face”. But my understanding is that there is no such mounting distinction for the 6206 bearing. Moreover, searching the web I could not identify the bearing type.
I see an earlier post in 2006 inquired about the bearings in the M head but didn't see that the pulley bearing replacement was answered. Should I just go ahead and use the 6206 bearings since no reported downside for using the 6206 over the last 14 years or sweat over the XH123?

Last edited:
7205 would be spindle bearings. You would do well with 7206DU light or no preload. These should be DB (back to back) mounted. DB gives maximum moment resistance. That said, my M-head is running with 6206 conrad bearings, and has been for 10 years with no problems. Just make sure that you remove any shields or seals, and remove the grease so that the oil from the cup will run through these bearings on it's way to the spindle bearings. (Assumes your M is using the standard oil cup total loss oiling system.)

Regards
Bob

Back