What's new
What's new

hardinge hlvh carriage oiler(clogged)

Markusfu

Stainless
I recently removed the oiler tubes in a Hardinge hlvh carriage. I have attached pics of the assembly along with a pic of the one way valve partly dissassembled. I tried cleaning the one way valve in an ultrasonic cleaner but was not satisfied with the lack of air movement(under pressure) afterward, so I removed the packing and the small screen from inside. I then drilled a small hole in the middle of the orface that already had 4 small holes . The first one drilled quite easily, but the second one way valve drilled a bit harder, in fact I discovered that there was also a spring in the little assembly.

I'm curious what success others on the forum have had with cleaning these assemblies.

hlvhcarriageoilertubes003.jpg

hlvhcarriageoilertubes004.jpg

Markus

Hi Markus ... Well, I had very similar problems and flushing the non-return valves out with parafin did work and there was an airflow (small as it was).

I did just about everything you've done but one thing advised by the UK Hardinge service team was to change the oil grade from the thick 60 ish grade as I recollect to a much thinner oil.

I refilled the reservoir with Shell Tellus 37 which Hardinge said would be much better ... and all fine now :D

Hope this helps

John

I understand these valves have a precisely calibrated flow rate, Markus. At USD$8.00 or so each and a need to replace them maybe only once every ten years, it seems frankly easier to replace them than to try to redesign them on the fly without equipment to measure metering rates. The back pressures for each of the four distribution channels is different, so the calibration becomes more important than one might think. Having said that, I'm very impressed with your scientific spirit! :eek:

- Mike

When cleaning drilling's and tubes like this I ...

Use a combination of air and wd40

Fill drilling with wd40 .......then put blow gun into it...

it works in most cases
but I see yours have felt stuffed in the ends ...you need to renew felt ...as it becomes clogged after a time .

The felt is there just to slow the lube down and restrict it so all comes out equally out of all oilers ...not rocket science or precise.

Just mix and match...and it'll do .

BTW if you have any oilers with compressed tiny brass balls in them .........forget it .there isn't any way to clean these..............I've tried ...not a hope.

all the best....mark

...not rocket science or precise
Quite obviously your "Rocket Science" is very basic ... as the non-return valve (P/n. LH0010646) is extremely precise with a piston, spring, plunger, two micromesh filters + more and is calibrated to give a very accurate flow.

An air line will just blow the mechanism out of the unit ... and I know to my expense ... I've done it, not realising just how intricate the NRV is!

Frankly IMHO your precision is summed up in your phrase Just mix and match...and it'll do

I suggest you quote from experience instead of throw away lines that can damage people's machinery.

On this occasion Mark you've made me see RED :mad: :mad: :mad: because you don't know what your talking about !!!

Frankly IMHO your precision is summed up in your phrase Just mix and match...and it'll do
That phrase wasn't supposed to come from me..you were not meant to read it thinking it was my attitude ...it was interpretation of the manufacturers attitudes to lubrication..not necessarily Harding.

This was after, looking and taking several machines apart and observing what was going on.

See red all you like ...rose tints help .

i was just looking at the pics above and coming to my own conclusions ..ok ..ok ...I'm wrong...
I admit it ...sorry ...are we friends again ..

Out of all the times I post here ..there must be one or two times I get things wrong out of hundreds ....we do not live in a perfect world ..and I'm not perfect.

The advice I gave was just general stuff ...from looking at the pics, thinking the the bits of felt did the metering like lots of other machines.

SORRY I GOT IT WRONG

all the best.mark

"... but check with Hardinge first...3-4 years ago I got them from Elmira for even less than Lube USA ..."

Same experience with the lubricators in the 10EE and Monarch's price (lower) compared to the Bujur distrubutor's price (higher).

Guy's these Meter units (P/n. LH0010646) are infact very cheap by Hardinge standards

Hardinge UK sell them for GBP/£5.00 (US$8.75) and I guess they'll be even cheaper in the USA.

Quite franky IMHO the time and effort required to strip and clean these units with no real guarantee of success verse's the replacement price leaves no doubt which way to go ...

Here's some other relevant part prices and part numbers too:

LH 001102901 Oil Tube (Short) GBP/£12.00 (US$21)
CH 001102902 Oil Tube (Long) GBP/£17.00 (US$29.75)
LH 0011060 Sleeve Compression GBP/£1.10 (US$1.92)
HL 0006424 Gasket GBP/£1.90 (US$3.33)

Hope this helps

John

... and Mark, public apoligy accepted - Thank you

Back