What's new
What's new

Hardinge HV-4N 5C Model X Indexer Parts List

garyp337

Aluminum
Does anyone have, or know where I can find a parts list or drawing for a Hardinge HV-4N 5C Model X indexer. I also need a drawing for the 24 hole index plate. If anyone has a spare, please let me know.

THanks,

Gary

There used to be documentation on Hardinge's website, but the last time I looked, it was gone! I haven't tried calling them directly, but I'd bet a beer they'd supply what you need if you called them.

There used to be documentation on Hardinge's website, but the last time I looked, it was gone!
I was looking around there just before I posted the reply above. No luck.

They have a current-production version of the thing which is computer-controlled. You can download the manual for it. I did, but it's not of much use.

I also did a Google search... nada :(

Well, I've got the brochure, price list, parts diagram, and parts listing. Now, what do you want me to do with it? Sorry, I don't have a drawing for any of the components, why do you want one for the index plate?

Hi Jim,

I'd like to get a copy of the brochure and the parts diagram and listing. I'll be happy to pay for copying if you could do so. Please advise.

Thanks.

- Leigh

Hi Jim:

I would certainly appreciate a copy of the materials you have. I will gladly pay for copying. Mine has the 20 position index plate and I would like to get (or make) a 24 position plate.

Thanks,

Gary

Jim,

Sounds like it would be a good thing to put online, as I would appreciate a copy as well. You can add it to my website at http://aafradio.org/garajmahal/tool_restoration.html , or to the RCM dropbox at http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/ The only difficulty with the dropbox is that they retire files by year so the link you show now will change at the end of the year. Not a problem for the determined browser, but it is an extra search step.

- Mike

Mike you have a PM from me. To the other guys: If you can receive emails with large attachments, PM me with your email address. In the meantime, I'm working the issue for broader access. I don't want to be in the emailing business on a continuing basis.

Jim

Thanks to Jim and mike for this. Is there anything out there on thought process of how to set it up? I will be using it to do 3 holes in a cylinder. I started at 0 and marked every line with a 3 on it and it looks right. But I would like to drill 3 more holes at 90 degrees of the holes to place a set screw on the existing holes. I know it will do it but I'm not there yet
Boyd

Assuming you have the standard 24 hole plate (there were also 20 hole plates and specials), then you will move eight index holes to drill three equally spaced holes. Now you either want to move 90 degrees or 270 degrees before drilling the first of your set screw holes. Which (90 or 270) is up to you. To move 90 degrees, move six index holes. To move 270 degrees, move eighteen index holes. Drill the first of your set screw holes, then move eight holes for the next one, and repeat once more of the last one.

Do I remove the set screws or just count?
You mean in the index plate? For this particular job, I think I would count it out the first time, marking the desired index locations with two colors of tape or marker. Say red for the 1st set of drill holes, and blue for the 2nd set. Then for a new part, I'd quickly index to the nearest red mark, drill my three holes on the three red markers, then move to the nearest blue mark, and drill my three holes on the three blue markers.

For this particular job, the stop-off screws in the index plate aren't buying you as much as they normally might, because you need to use 6 of the 24 index plate holes but out of order. Setting the stop-off screws is most useful when you are indexing through "next" positions strictly in order.

Back