What's new
What's new

Hardinge lathe?

alcro1998

Cast Iron
Came across this on a forums and was wondering what I am looking at. The cabinet says Hardinge but I have never seen any Harding lathe like this. Just curious really. Thanks!
7F638805-FA46-497B-89B0-13E05C6A0C60.jpg

It's a T-10, like the one pictured below, before I sold it.The cabinet is slightly different. It has a gearbox for threading, including a back gear. Mine was built in 1943. Nice machine, but I kept the HLV-H...

Attachments

• _DSC1575.jpg
    _DSC1575.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 89
This type of Hardinge lathe is called a TL, T-5 or T-10, but whatever the differences are, if any, they are not well defined. Tony has lots of pictures: Hardinge HLV-H Clones

The missing (in the picture in post #1) tailstock is a rare item because it was only made for the TL and the TL was not made in large numbers. It is different from the much more common TR tailstock, but they can be used on either model lathe. The TL tailstock has a two-piece base with setover adjustment, while the TR tailstock has a one-piece base. I have seen two TL tailstocks that were not actually on a TL lathe when I saw them. One was on a TR lathe that was sold before I saw it and I bought the second one on eBay.

The kneehole cabinet is a puzzle.

Larry

It's a T-10, like the one pictured below, before I sold it.The cabinet is slightly different. It has a gearbox for threading, including a back gear. Mine was built in 1943. Nice machine, but I kept the HLV-H...

I removed my wrong answer. Is the control a DC drive or AC?

I removed my wrong answer. Is the control a DC drive or AC?

Not sure if you're referring to the control box on my T-10, or to T-10's in general, but mine had been modified by the previous owner with a 180v-DC 1 HP motor and the electronic control box, including a variable speed control; when the motor was turned off, an internal brake would come on and coast to a stop; when using the off switch, it would run down a bit longer.

Not sure if you're referring to the control box on my T-10, or to T-10's in general, but mine had been modified by the previous owner with a 180v-DC 1 HP motor and the electronic control box, including a variable speed control; when the motor was turned off, an internal brake would come on and coast to a stop; when using the off switch, it would run down a bit longer.

I asked because it looked like a DC control I almost purchased.

I have two of these that are projects .
Mine have the original controls and I’d like to retain them .
TLP one says on the plate that retains the screw shaft , at the tail stock end the other plate is missing off the second machine .
I’d like to convert 220 single to three phase and anything I should be looking for would be appreciated to do that ..

Back