What's new
What's new

Hardinge Lathe badge and plaque refurbishment help.

marcsO

Hot Rolled
Hi all, got an HLV and was wondering if anyone could suggest the best way to refurbish the badges on this lathe. Specifically the main badge on the stand door, the two small round badges on the release knobs by the gearbox and anything else that springs to mind.

The two small round ones on my lathe are illegible so info on what they should look like would be cool too.

Im guessing the original badges etc were silk screen printed but happy to look at more 'modern' processes to achieve the results, would like to stick with aluminium or metal for the badge material rather than hard plastics etc if at all possible.

If anyone has spare's would be interested to buy too but as I'm in the UK cost to ship might make it unviable.

marc

Hi all, got an HLV and was wondering if anyone could suggest the best way to refurbish the badges on this lathe. Specifically the main badge on the stand door, the two small round badges on the release knobs by the gearbox and anything else that springs to mind.

The two small round ones on my lathe are illegible so info on what they should look like would be cool too.

Im guessing the original badges etc were silk screen printed but happy to look at more 'modern' processes to achieve the results, would like to stick with aluminium or metal for the badge material rather than hard plastics etc if at all possible.
If "informational" is all yah need, such as threading charts, look into "metalphoto". DIY'able from a computer art master created from scratch or manipulated off a touched-up photo, output printed onto film. Next step is to "contact" print with any decent actinic light source from the old Macbeth arc lamps our company printer had handy to natural sunlight and greater patience.

The development process coats the surface with clear aluminium Oxide AKA "synthetic sapphire", so durable enough, so long as not attacked with strong reagents.

If "museum grade" restoration? You'll want to replicate what Hardinge - or their third-party badge supplier - did.

NONE of the techniques are any sort of "lost art" and ALL can be done on still-available equipment, making and framing your own silk-screens included.

BTDTGTTS for our own company's new goods, etched, engraved, painted, and metalphoto as well. It just wasn't that difficult, nor even terribly costly.

Some methods are just more tedious than others.

If anyone has spare's would be interested to buy too but as I'm in the UK cost to ship might make it unviable.

marc

If you hunt around on the site there are restorations and pictures that will be of help.

There are also people doing this for electronic projects all over the world. Just search.

Back