Hardinge R8 Collet Info; from Hardinge
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hardinge R8 Collet Info; from Hardinge

Just posting some generic info on Harding R-8 collets. I've been in the market for a new set of common sizes of R-8 collets. I had ordered some time ago a set of Lyndex R-8 collets, and a couple of square 5c. There was no brand on the collets (although the box said Japan), all had staked threaded inserts, and I've been unable to find any specs whatsoever from Lyndex on the R-8 or 5c's. What turned me off however, was that the 5c square ones look like they'd been chewed by a beaver to make the square opening. My suspicion is these are sourced from who-knows where (hence no manufacturers' markings). I ended up sending them all back.
    New Hardinge R-8 collets almost never come up on Feebay (in fact, not a large amount of used ones, people must keep them forever), and I don't see any point in paying half price for knackered up used collets that you don't know what you're going to get. Anwyay, I asked Hardinge about the tolerance and if their collets are still one-piece(no insert) and USA made (they are). So, I'm gonna bite the bullet and order some individual ones, since their "set" prices have basically no discount. In addition to getting top quality materials, and known quality and tolerance--support the last quality USA collet manufacturer! Doesn't make sense to cheap out on collets with all the money spent on tooling, and if one is trying to do accurate work, a huge number are not needed, and last virtually a lifetime if not abused. Below is the R-8 TIR from Hardinge, (was going to post the drawing, but PDF's are not supported here). Cheers

-The TIR is listed as

Sizes from .0312-.062
    Measured 1/16 from the face

Sizes from ..0625-.125
    Measured 1/4 from the face

Sizes from .125-.1875
    Measured 1/2 from the face

Sizes from .1875- 1"
    Measured 1" from the face

We only offer the 11 and 12 piece kits. All other combinations would need to be ordered individually.

2. Likes old_dave liked this post
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I totally agree with you and your thinking. I screwed up one original Bridgeport collet (18mm) and checked the Hardinge-site and after I wiped my watery eyes with my sleeve I ordered one chinese collet: Silly mistake. Nothing but a waste of money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why waste time with R8 collets??? Since BP designed them back in the 30's, things have evolved.

I only have a few around.. Sometimes I need a little more headroom on a setup..

They don't grip as well as proper ER/TG collets. And making a proper collet ~6 inches long, IS going to cost more than a 2.5 in long collet..

End mill holders do most of the toolholding for me... This is a flexible turret mill... Not a 4 ton grinder...

Never seen much mill run square stock, that was perfect on all dimensions...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since a bridgeport isn't very stiff in general and the bearings are not heavy-duty, I try to limit the tool projection as much as possible, unless there's some sort of interference; I don't know of a better method to limit tool overhang, and get the best runout in addition, than using a good quality r8 collet. I have a nice set of ETM ER40 collets with r-8 holder, but this increases the tool projection by 2.5", even a toolholder increases it significantly. An er nut and collet is more time-consuming to change than an r8 IMO. Only a few r-8's are required for standard size cutter shanks. I have a mill with KwikSwitch tooling which is pretty nice, but I'm not looking for a project to change spindles in the bridgeport.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I looked in to swapping the spindle from a Boss machine, 30 or 40 national, can't remember which. Requires cutting the splined end down to fit right (or a ladder to get to the draw bar!). Unfortunately, the guy wanted more for the spindle than I had in mind. But THAT would surely solve the R8 dilemma. I have some Weldon type and like them real well.