What's new
What's new

Hardinge Special 3/8" Toolholders

cinematechnic

Cast Iron
I just got these two 3/8" shank toolholders along with some other tooling I bought. I can't find any info on them anywhere (including searching here).

Can anyone shed any light on these:

HARDINGE SPECIAL BF-37 TR
Insert: Triangle 0.351 side, 0.0955 Th

HARDINGE SPECIAL CEL 4537 DI
Insert: Diamond, 0.344 side, 0.55 Lg = I.C.?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Hardinge Special 1.jpg
    Hardinge Special 1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Hardinge Special 2.jpg
    Hardinge Special 2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 83
In case it's not clear from the photos: The inserts are carbide and do not have holes (solid pieces). I'd be most interested in knowing the type of insert to see if I can get new ones. I do a lot of small part machining in softer metals (aluminum, brass, free machining steel) and it seems these tools could work well in those materials.

The tool holder may be special but it looks like the insert is standard. Looks like a TPG322. The other one looks like a D style. Try DPG and see what comes up.

Thanks for your post. I have TPG322 inserts and they are bigger than what the BF-37 TR holder uses. I suppose it is a smaller size of TPG.

I'll look up the DPG inserts as well and see what turns up.

I'm guessing these are older style inserts.

Both holders have the insert at a substantial positive rake, especially the CEL 4537 DI. So I suppose they were meant for softer materials and use on smaller lathes. Am I right to assume that?

The tool holder may be special but it looks like the insert is standard. Looks like a TPG322. The other one looks like a D style. Try DPG and see what comes up.

Back