What's new
What's new

Hardinge tailstock setscrews (4) for horizontal alignment.

rons

Diamond
The 4 setscrews on the base.
The 2 outer screws push the tailstock because the screw threads are in the tailstock body.
The 2 inner screws pull the tailstock because the screw threads are in the gib.

Looked in more than one manual and never found adjustment instructions.
Heard here that they are not adjustable.

Indicator held on tool post and moved down the length of a 5" cylinder between centers.
With some in/out adjustments to the screws that push/pull I can get the cylinder straight.
Moving the inner two setscrews and the tailstock lever pulls the alignment off and the process(?) repeats.

Anyone every mess around with this and have a way that can be written down in a procedure?

Rons,
What lathe are you asking about? I had to check my HLV-H because you asked and I see 4 countersunk screw holes. Ran a scribe in each hole and no threads. Looks to me like mine has 4 socket head cap screws holding the Gib/wear plate in position. Not going to turn them just in case since you have had the issue.
I only have an operator's manual. If you could access a repair manual it may have more info.

Any chance a previous owner modified it to accommodate wear or a rebuild correction?

Last edited:
Rons,
What lathe are you asking about? I had to check my HLV-H because you asked and I see 4 countersunk screw holes. Ran a scribe in each hole and no threads. Looks to me like mine has 4 socket head cap screws holding the Gib/wear plate in position. Not going to turn them just in case since you have had the issue.
I only have an operator's manual. If you could access a repair manual it may have more info.

Any chance a previous owner modified it to accommodate wear or a rebuild correction?

I think all the HLV, HLV-H models from the late 50's on up have those 4 cap screws. I have old and new manuals and none of them say anything except list the
screws in a parts list.

No chance. I'm using a .00005 increment indicator and it has not lied to me yet. I tend to go a little extra in precision when working on parts that don't
need it. Gives me a little practice so that when something really needs to be dead nuts, I'm ready.

Back