What's new
What's new

hardinge taper back plate

lectrician1

Hot Rolled
i am looking for a reasonably priced hardinge 4 degree taper back plate to install a 6 jaw chuck.
anyone have one they are looking to sell or can direct me to where i can buy one? thanks
Rich

I've gotten mine on eBay. It may take some patience and vigilance though. I don't think I've seen many recently.

You might look at a 6 inch step collet closer. There might be enough material to mount a chuck if you face off the closer taper. They are still available if this is viable.
Attached photo is one I used for driving a lathe dog.

AjustableCenter#2rs.jpg

What size chuck? What brand/type of chuck?

Reasonably priced is a very uncertain term. Hardinge will sell you a 8.88" taper mount C25 fixture plate (blank cast iron plate that could be used to mount a chuck) for $1230. I do not think that is reasonable. If you only need a 5" taper mount C24 fixture plate, the price is only $630. Is that reasonable? These are flat plates, too thin to directly fit a PBA Setrite or Buck Ajust-Tru chuck because there is no material for the four adjusting screws to push against.

C25 ShopHardinge - 59A0008750

C24 ShopHardinge - 55A0008750

Ajax has Buck? Hardinge taper chuck mounts, 5" for $425 and 6" for $450. Is that reasonable? I guess these will fit a Buck Ajust-Tru chuck. If so they would also fit The PBA Setrite or BTC copies of the Buck.

Search

Pratt Burnerd sells adapters with Hardinge taper. They were several hundred dollars each a few years ago, but I don't have a current price. The PBA adapters are USA-made of steel instead of cast iron and fit the PBA Setrite chucks or the Buck Ajust-Tru or BTC Chinese copies of Buck Ajust-Tru chucks.

http://www.prattburnerd.com/detail-mc.php?p=MC&l=SC&m=SC-253-263

I was unable to find any other current makers of Hardinge taper chuck adapters when I searched several years ago.A couple of chuck makers that used to make them apparently have stopped.

I think Hardinge step chuck closers are too thin to mount any but a small and delicate Jaw chuck. And I prefer to use a 5C plug chuck for that sort of chuck.

Larry

Last edited:
i would like to get a 5" or 6" 6 jaw adjust tru chuck. MSC has the back plate for $306. ajax has them for $425.
thought over 300 for the back plate was pricey.

Just checked the 6 inch collet close and it is .280 thick. Maybe that is too thin? A ring for adjust-true would have to be worked out also.

Beware of non-Hardinge plates, as they often program the taper and recess as one continuous cut, which leaves a slight hump from machine backlash and it rattles on the spindle nose. Doing the recess first and then one pass to finish the taper makes it fit the nose better. If you have a turning center that will handle it, it's not a particularly challenging job. We once modified (butchered might be a better word) a Hardinge DSM-59 to pass 1-1/2 Ø material and had to mount an 8-inch chuck. Forget buying something like that, you have to make it. Also, if you make it for minimum overhang, the drive set-screw hole has to come thru the flange.

The best chucks for Hardinge lathes are direct mount without a separate backplate.

In September 2016 I bought PBA 5" and 6" Setrite Chucks. Here are the backplate details direct from my order quote.

5” Fully Machined Setrite chuck back plate P/n. 050544 Price US$295.00
5" Semi-machined back plate P/n. 0503044 Price US$235.00
6” Fully Machined Setrite chuck back plate P/n. 060544 Price US$300.00
6" Semi-machined back plate P/n. 0603044 Price US$255.00

Hope this helps

John

I bought a 5" Pratt-Burnard set-tru chuck and Hardinge 4 degree back plate last year, cost was right around $1000.00. Although I never buy from MSC if possible because of their rip you off pricing, After receiving 4 different quotes for the exact item from different suppliers MSC beat all the others by over $100.00.

Rough one out, heat cycle it a few times in barbecue or other source of 500F or more and then finish cut to size. Worked for me and only issue was about .001" warpage a year later. Another facing cut and now excellent.

Back