Hardinge TL (and HLV ?) Metric Threading - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Duh- my apologies the above "50,70 and 127", should have been 70,80 and 127. Sorry for any confusion. Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By chance does anyone have a copy of the gear conversion chart that not on Photobucket that would post it. Or shoot me a pm and I can give you my email address, Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mark- check your e-mail. Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It took a bit for Amazon to supply all the gears. When I went to start configure the gears and realized the set was for the TL. Does anyone know for sure that the set up works on an HLV. Dan was kind enough to supply pictures of the configuration on a TL. Until now I haven’t needed anything that wasn’t available on the lathe, so I haven’t played with external gear setups. Any help would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only significant difference in using external gearing between the TL and HLV/HLV-H is the center-to-center distance between the first gear and screw gear on the gearbox (approx 4.3" on the TL vs 2.4" on the HLV). That required Hardinge to change the design of the inch and metric threading banjos. One can actually use the banjos from the TL on the HLV and vice versa but the different sized banjos interfere with closing the gear cover. Otherwise, the gear charts for all three lathes are identical with one minor exception. The TL has gearbox threads for 34/68/136 tpi threads which are not provided for on the HLV lathes.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"By chance does anyone have a copy of the gear conversion chart that not on Photobucket that would post it."

Hope peterh5322 doesn't mind me reposting these for him - pretty sure these are the charts he posted earlier in the thread:

tl_pitch_chart.jpg

new_tl_metric_placard.jpg

small_tl_metric_placard.jpg

medium_hardinge_tl_placard.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

..and these should be the images of the setup (using the imperial banjo and Myford gears) for cutting a 2mm thread which are now missing from my earlier post #26:

thread2.jpg

thread1.jpg

8. Likes Conrad Hoffman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks- I've always found the Hardinge metric threading setup a poorly documented mystery. This helps a lot.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just installed the Babin servo threading attachment on our HLV-BK. It was much easier than finding or making all the necessary parts for metric threads, plus I now have a wider range of imperial threads also. Only took about 1.5 hrs to install, including drilling and tapping two holes. So far it was definitely worth the improvement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone have a picture or layout for the gears from Dan? I spent all afternoon trying to figure things out and not sure how it goes together for a 1.0 metric pitch.
    e97c9451-203b-4732-b210-88e85c37af66.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guys I could really use some help, I spent a lot of time trying to sort this out. I cut a lot of threads internal and external, it was the reason I bought a Hardinge. I am sure the gear solution works it a configuration issue I don’t understand. Using the chart that Peter posted, using figure A in the Hardinge manual. The sequence was 80 1st position, 2nd was 127, 3rd 50, 4th was 40. Using position #2 on the change dial. I spent a bunch of time swapping gears and positions trying to make things work. I have talk with Paul a few times buying parts about his servo conversation, I just don’t have the funds available to go that route.

Dan sent me a picture of a TL configured to cut 1.0 mm thread pitch. In that picture is shows the 28 tooth gear on the output shaft. I don’t have any gears large enough to drive the 28 on the HLV-H banjo. Since I am not 100% certain that the answer, I don’t want to try milling the only banjo I have. 14f4927d-b5c5-441b-8484-681e528cad91.jpg

Colchester UK (where the lathes used to be made)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is my set up for 0.5/1/2mm pitch on imperial lathe: (Myford 22dp gears with metric banjo)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hardinge-change-metric-gears.jpg   hlv-h-imperial-0.5-1-2-mm-setup-text.jpg   dogclutch-shaft.jpg  

14. Likes Zahnrad Kopf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are going to use those 50/127 gears , then the one behind the 127T needs to be 80T and the lead-screw gear screw has to be 40T with what ever size gear that will fit between them. Three-change will be on position 2.

The 50T:127T converts to the metric 0.25/0.5/1mm pitch , the 80:40 is just doubling it so if you have two gears the same ( behind the 127 and on the lead-screw) you can just swap the three change position . The gear that connects the two is just an idler so use whatever fits.

I think !

Bill

[Edit : zooming in on gear I see that you have an 80:127]

If you are going to use those 80/127 gears , then the one behind the 127T needs to be 50T and the lead-screw gear screw has to be 40T with what ever size gear that will fit between them. Three-change will be on position 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill,
    Thank you for the reply. It looks like I need a couple more gears, I don’t have any pairs. And another bracket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You don't need pairs for the above 80 :127 setup just the 50 and 40 and whatever fits.

That said , a metric banjo is handy ( I made mine from plans that are kicking around on the forum).