What's new
What's new

Hardinge TM vertical head - on overarm or bolt to column

leeko

Stainless
Hi all

I'm working on a vertical head for my hardinge TM, using parts I have on hand. I'm planning to use a high speed head from a Versamill, which would be simple enough to bolt onto the overarm support. But, I have this need to make things more complicated....

I would really like a quill. The Versamill head doesn't have one. So, I'm planning to mount the whole thing, motor and all, on a dovetail slide with rack and pinion from a lathe turret.

The simplest way to do it would be again to mount it on the 2" overarm. But, it'll be quite heavy once I'm done, and I quite like the idea of a more rigid mount bolted to the face of the column.

If I bolt the vertical monstrosity to the column, I lose the ability to adjust it in and out by sliding the overarm. But then, the stock vertical head has the same limitation. I'm thinking it's probably not a problem, but I'm interested to hear others thoughts?

If it's not a problem, what would be the optimal distance for the spindle from the face of the column?

Thanks everyone, and happy holidays!

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Often a bridgeport M head is fitted to these. If the center boss of the M head is bolted to a flange that is welded to a two inch piece of round
stock, this works. The M head has a quill.

The real problem with this setup is the head is too low, the clearance between the spindle of the M head and the table, is pretty minimal.
Often the head is indeed bolted to a riser that extends upwards. In some cases the rise is itself connected to the front of the column surface.
The main problem is not typically the in/out clearance, but the up/down clearance.

M_Head.jpg

Note the knee is just about completely down and there is only a few inches between the
vise and the quill. And, the quill is completely retracted. (don't be confused by the drill
press column in the background....)

Hi Jim

Thanks for the pic. I've seen some M-head mounts of both types, but what I'm not sure of is the distance from the column face to the spindle (and whether in practice, anyone adjusts the overarm in/out to gain more of that distance - but I think you answered that part)

Thanks again

Lee

I bought a real vertical mill (Rockwell) new in 1974 and bought a used Hardinge TM about ten years later. The TM came with a Hardinge vertical head installed. I bought the TM for doing jobs that are easier on a horizontal, so I took the vertical head off and never used it. I also had a Bridgeport H head, the one designed for the TM, and never used it. And, for good measure, I had a Rusnok head with a quill that I considered adapting to the TM. In the many years since, I have done a few horizontal jobs on the TM and never had a vertical job that would have been easier on the TM than on the Rockwell. I sold those three vertical heads years ago and have had no regrets.

I still have a Bridgeport 2MT M head that could be adapted to a TM, but it has been sitting on a shelf for about 35 years and I have never turned it on. Having the Rockwell, there has never been a real reason to convert my TM. I know there is a chip out of the motor pulley, but don't know of any other condition issues other than dirt and rust. Price $200 cash and carry. I will not ship it.

Looking at pictures of vertical conversions on Hardinge mills over the years, I think the best idea is an M head on a plate mount that puts the M head mount several inches above the center of the overarm bore. If you want to drill with the M head, you need head room.

Larry

M head 1.jpg M head 2.jpg M head 4.jpg M head 3.jpg

Hi Larry and DKMC,

Thanks for the replies!

Larry, your M-head is definitely tempting... Let me make a couple of calls to see if any friends can grab it for me - thanks very much!

And thanks for the link to the casting set - I'll likely make a mount myself, but good to have a starting point to work from!

Lee

Decided to go ahead and take Larry up on the offer of his M-head!

It looks like a lot of the pictures haven't yet made their way from the Yahoo group to the groups.io site yet - does anyone have any good examples, photos, drawings, sketches, or suggestions for an offset plate mount for the M-head?

Thanks all!

Lee

Back