Hardinge Tool room Compound Ecentric Pin
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hardinge Tool room Compound Ecentric Pin

What breaks the Ecentric pin? I replaced it with a pin from hardinge, and it's broken again a week later
    Never mind that we have a number of unqualified monkeys on the machine, but I found the pin tightened in a counter clockwise manner as opposed to how most normal people would tighten it, clockwise
    After finding it tightened this way twice, I checked and it was broken again
    Any thoughts..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spot the top of the cross slide and the underside of the compound slide and scrape to correct the
    lack of contact. You'll need to remove the pivot pin from one of those, I forget if its the top or the
    bottom part.

Hardinge really was trying to reduce the height of that assembly and so things are pretty thin. So things
    tend to get a a bowed up and then the natural tendency is to crank the shit out of the lock pin. With
    predictable results.

It took me a whole day to get a good bearing between the two parts, and after that it locked up pretty
    good without cranking the lock down. Also if they are using the HLVH to take really heavy cuts then
    maybe a different lathe is in order. The heavy cuts will tend to cause the compound to creep around a bit.

To get the stub of the eccentric pin out, drill from the backside. When you are done put a setscrew in the hole
    and stamp "OIL" right by it.

3. Likes Billtodd, Stradbash liked this post
    Colchester UK (where the lathes used to be made)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just posted a similar answer to Jim's in the general forum.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Discuss what cutting operation are being done and how fast the diameters are being turned down.
    Heavy cuts are something I avoid. Have had several cutting bit stalls and I don't like that.