What's new
What's new

Hardinge Tool room Compound Ecentric Pin

NSPowerlifter

Plastic
What breaks the Ecentric pin? I replaced it with a pin from hardinge, and it's broken again a week later
Never mind that we have a number of unqualified monkeys on the machine, but I found the pin tightened in a counter clockwise manner as opposed to how most normal people would tighten it, clockwise
After finding it tightened this way twice, I checked and it was broken again
Any thoughts..

Spot the top of the cross slide and the underside of the compound slide and scrape to correct the
lack of contact. You'll need to remove the pivot pin from one of those, I forget if its the top or the
bottom part.

Hardinge really was trying to reduce the height of that assembly and so things are pretty thin. So things
tend to get a a bowed up and then the natural tendency is to crank the shit out of the lock pin. With
predictable results.

It took me a whole day to get a good bearing between the two parts, and after that it locked up pretty
good without cranking the lock down. Also if they are using the HLVH to take really heavy cuts then
maybe a different lathe is in order. The heavy cuts will tend to cause the compound to creep around a bit.

To get the stub of the eccentric pin out, drill from the backside. When you are done put a setscrew in the hole
and stamp "OIL" right by it.

Discuss what cutting operation are being done and how fast the diameters are being turned down.
Heavy cuts are something I avoid. Have had several cutting bit stalls and I don't like that.

Back