What's new
What's new

Hardinge-Tree H/V Indexers, & Tree Dividing Heads

morsetaper2

Diamond
I always saw Stephen Thomas refer to the Hardinge HV series indexers as "Hardinge Tree Fixture (H & V indexer)" and never gave it much thought. But subconsciously wondered about that? :scratchchin:

Today, on a local email list a thread about these H/V indexers popped up. And someone posted that, at some point in time, they called Hardinge, and asked about the collet indexers and was told they were mfgd & sold by Hardinge under license from Tree Tool & Die Works (Tree milling machines).

I have a friend that bought a Hardinge mill. And it came with an unmarked/unidentified dividing head and a footstock that is a dead ringer for a Hardinge closed 4" footstock that has "Tree Machine Tools" marked on it. So it got me curious since I have never ever heard off, or have seen them in the flesh or in pictures, a Tree 5C indexer or Tree dividing head.

Anyone have photos of a Tree H/V fixture or Tree dividing head? Or know where a Tree catalog scan is posted that might have one in pictures?

I'm most interested in seeing the dividing head if it exists. I imagine the indexer looks exactly like the Hardinge version.

BTW... here is a link to the patent awarded to Charles Tree in 1941 for the H/V indexer:

Patent US2233858 - Collet index fixture - Google Patents

I contemplated posting this in the USA heavy iron section, maybe this not the best sub-forum. Moderator, feel free to move if you feel so.

Last edited:
I have not seen one marked Tree. But I have seen the Finn Speed-Dex versions on eBay. They have a 24 division indexer and a 360 degree indexing version. Finn does not have a chuck mount on the spindle, but sells 5C arbors with threads to fit Hardinge 2-3/16-10 threaded chucks or 2-1/4-8 threaded chucks. I have a couple of the Yuasa 24 division indexers that have the spindle threaded for 2-1/4-8 chucks.

Finn Speed-Dex: Products

Larry

OK, here are the pics of the Tree tailstock. Does it go with a dividing head or an indexer? Photos were sent to me so I have no dimensions.

Attachments

• tree_3.jpg
    tree_3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 158
  • tree_2.jpg
    tree_2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 219
  • tree_1.jpg
    tree_1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 344
  • tree_4.jpg
    tree_4.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 303
That is the tailstock for the 4" height indexers. I have a bunch of them with the Hardinge stamp, but none marked Tree. There is a similar model with a spring-loaded rack and pinion center. Hardinge sold a couple models of cast iron base. You could put one of each type tailstock on the base, plus an indicator holder and make bench centers. Or you could put an indexer and tailstock on the base and fasten the base to a non-Hardinge mill. And so on.

The Hardinge dividing heads use a tailstock with an opening clear through the base and a lower center height (3.625").

Larry

Last edited:
Is T800 cast into the similar Hardinge 4" tailstocks? Wonder if the Tree tailstock was produced by Hardinge for Tree?

EDIT: After poking around on ebay, I see the hardinge tailstocks have the same T800 pattern # in the casting.

Last edited:
I have several of the 4" tailstocks. Some have T800 in the pattern and some do not. The Hardinge model is T-4. On the lever tailstocks, some have L-4, the Hardinge model, in the pattern and some do not.

Hardinge made a number of variations of the units in this family and some are very rare (unpopular). There are HV-4 (24 divisions) and HV-0 (20 divisions) with short spindles and no chuck mount. The HV-4N and HV-0N have the Hardinge standard 2-3/16-10 threaded nose. The HV-4NX and HV-0NX have the Hardinge taper nose.

But they also made models with stationary (non-rotating) spindles that still have the lever collet closer. They are HV-H (no threads) and HV-HN with threads. They did not list a taper nose version.

Then there are the horizontal only indexing fixtures with plain draw bars, H-4 and H-0.

All of these items have 4.000" spindle height.

The sub base is SB-4 and only one size was listed in my 1954 catalog. I do have another size, with different width.

Larry

Last edited:
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but...

Larry, do you know if the lever tailstocks (L-4) are intended/acceptable for milling? Or purely for grinding/inspection purposes?

Thanks

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for those scans Larry!

I have the H4 indexer, and just recently picked up an L-4 tailstock. Was wondering if I could use them together

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back