Help with Centroid Bridgeport - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations on this so far, I ran a Centroid control a bit older than the conversion yours was. I understand them not wanting to go backwards with support. Likely most of the staff that knew that control is retired.

I have a contact who might be willing, for pay, to help you. He was a Centroid rep for many years.

Charles

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, but I am pretty sure I'll get it figured out.

The latest issue that came up is that, after re-sealing the rotary table, it's not homing any more. Hopefully I'll get the "bugs" worked out.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Follow-up

I had to replace the prox sensor on the table, but now it homes properly. I must have jarred the old one rebuilding the table.

I also ordered the Centroid wireless MPG. It came quickly and installed easily, but I had a little spiff with Centroid over it. They advertise it for $239, so I ordered it online. It arrived with all hardware, but the instructions tell you to enter the "option unlock" code. None was provided, and when I called to get it they charged me another $139!! I tongue lashed them for an hour over deceptive advertising. There is an ambiguous statement on the website in fine print that the addition is needed for the "allin1dc" only. It gives the impression it is a charge for extra dongles to use the MPG on additional machines. No such thing. It is not a software addition...just a code to enable the software already in the CPU12.

They should advertise the MPG as $378, as $139 is a significant hit just to get a code. I like the Centroid system, but Jeez do they nickle and dime you to death.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a follow-up. I can say the mill is finally complete (at least for my liking!?!) Yesterday I put it through a 20k line job and all went perfectly. To wrap it up, here are the stats:

Bridgeport Type 1 mill, apparently originally a Boss CNC
    Centroid Motors and AllInOneDC controller
    Lanova Best buy computer with TDK monitor
    Centroid wireless pendant
    pneumatic controls for mechanical spindle speed, draw bar, mist coolant, and rotary table brake
    Cheapo Chinesium VFD
    Haas HRT210 rotary table with Centroid servo motor

As far as software, I gave the Centroid "conversational" software a whirl. It is very limited to simple operations...and Centroid nickels and dimes you to death. I had to pay $100 for the option of programing more than 20 lines, and that is only on 1 computer at a time!! Like I said, my program yesterday was 20,000 lines. My opinion is that Centroid CAM is not worth it's space on your hard drive. I tried Fusion 360...much better platform with almost unlimited learning support on Utube and other sources. Definitely the best hobby option for CAM and limited design. In the end I have Inventor 2020 with HSM CAD. This set-up is practically unlimited in ability with all the learning support you can absorb. I had to study for a week just to get the first G code out of it, but now that I have the basics I can throw together a mill program in a few minutes. The same 20k line program with Centroid would have taken about a week to program.

Thanks for all the help getting it going! Gotta get back to all the projects I have been accumulating...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,
    If your servo motors are good and you have high res encoders then you are half-way there. Rule of thumb ... you need 5x the resolution on your encoders relative to the accuracy you need to maintain. So .0002 resolution to hold a thou. Take a look at pico systems and Mesa electronics for interface boards. If you have good amps use them otherwise take a look at something like Servo Dynamics. Linuxcnc will look somewhat like a Haas for g-code. I'm still using TK-emc for a UI, dated but it looks like a control not like a video machine. That said if you can put up with the interface Axis is very good underneath the UI.
    Harder to configure is gmocha.py. I'm not using it and would need some help with configuration but it looks good otherwise.
    Linuxcnc has pretty good usr and dev list but also access thru IRC.

[email protected]

Getting a Mazak V5 with a dead 6M control running again took about a year of incremental work. A crew of us went from dead Mazak to motion is a week including tool change. Some of the crew came back later and spent 4-5 days to neaten some details up.
    However, I must say they were pretty experienced.
    Before you jump spend some time on the net looking for resources and experiences.
    Good luck which ever way you go.

D