What's new
What's new

Help with HLV-H. Carriage Feed motor stopped. KLD8220 wiring.

gmoushon

Cast Iron
After many years of looking, I finally scored on an HLV-H. 1985 model and quite the upgrade from my 1948 TL.

Machine is in great shape and I stole it at auction for $2,800! (Might be a little thrilled...)

HLV-H.jpg

Powered it up yesterday and it ran very smooth. However, when testing the carriage feed, it started out great then the motor began to slow down and, over the course of about 45 seconds, came to a compete stop. Now the feed motor does not start.

I'm suspecting it is the motor but wanted to ask for advise before tearing the motor down.

My first thought was a slow-blow fuse but unfortunately, I can't find the KLD8220 wiring diagram anywhere to begin trouble-shooting the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gm.

Check the brushes on the motor. Might be some oil or crud on them and the commutator.

Wise to check this. I guess your machined is missing the schematic inside the pocket in the electrical box?

Another issue on machines of this vintage, look inside the feed controller box. If there is a single potted unit (has the shaft for the speed control sticking out of the front) then you can worry about the fact these often fail in a particular way - either the feed motor is off, or if the knob is turned all the way up, the motor runs full speed - no linear control.

But check the motor field and armature winding continuity first before getting into that.

Back