What's new
What's new

Help with ID/Info on this Bridgeport?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
This is for sale locally, I'm ready to add a larger machine to supplement my benchtop mill.

So many iterations of BP heads, and I can't see to find this particular one online. 1/2 hp seems awfully light ( might be a deal-killer?)- was this factory config, or was this re-powered? I don't see a handwheel for the quill feed?

Wondering if this is worth a look (and what to look out, for) and whether asking price is reasonable?

Bridgeport mill single phase power - tools - by owner - sale

This looks like an M-head version - compare with Bridgeport Vertical Heads. The low power and smaller spindle (not the more normal R8 collet fitting) could be limiting but if the rest of the machine is in good order you could make precision parts with it.
Mal

Mal
AKA The Felsted Skiver

It is an M head, as mentioned above, but it has the modern dovetail ram, rather than a round ram which is typical for M heads. Not sure if the original J head was removed and the machine was adapted to use the smaller M head, or if it was from a time when a machine could be ordered in that configuration. Either way, the ways look to be in decent shape, may be an alright machine for what it is. M head is rather limiting, is OK for smaller stuff only. May be easy to convert to a J head with a new knuckle.
For the asking price, in my area I would expect a J head, in very good condition, with a lot of tooling and a DRO. Things may be different in FL, but I expect it is way over priced.

For the asking price, in my area I would expect a J head, in very good condition, with a lot of tooling and a DRO. Things may be different in FL, but I expect it is way over priced.

My thoughts as well, esp given that it's not an R8 spindle (emailed to find out spindle taper).

Yep, seems very high for what you'd get. Like mentioned above, for that money you should be able to get a nice J head with vice, DRO, and power X axis.

Has a couple of J Heads, as well... one's an Enco clone with newer VS drive.

output (1).jpg

output (2).jpgoutput.jpg

No DRO's, and only the clone has power X. I know we're not discussing clones here...so I won't...

My only mill experience is with my smallish benchtop- what would be the "biggies" to check for with these BP's, insofar as the drives, lube system, etc. goes? I plan on going over for a look, but I'm flying kinda blind.

Any suggestions, including reasonable value (if the machines are reasonably tight) would be greatly appreciated.

BP clones are fine to discuss here, only home/hobby shop grade stuff is not allowed. I'd be checking out the Enco. I don't have any experience with Enco machines, so I can't comment as to quality, but it has box ways on the Y axis, which is usually a bit better for rigidity, VS, and power feed on the X. Others here may know more about the brand itself.
As far as condition, a close look at the ways can tell you a lot about the bottom half of the machine. Bring some rags and maybe some WD-40 so you can clean the ways up really well and compare the condition at the ends to the condition in the middle of the travel. Most used machines will show some wear, but if the wear is heavy, especially if all the scraping/flaking marks are worn off, or there is galling on the way surfaces, the machine will never be tight as properly adjusting the gibs will be impossible.
Run the head if you can and crank through the entire speed range in both high and low range.
Bring a dial indicator with you and check the spindle for run out, and, deflection or looseness with the spindle stopped by pulling it side to side with the indicator on it measure movement.
Other than that, just give it a good looking over for anything broken or not working.
I hope the guy is willing to come down on price, even though these do look better than the M head. In my area, I'd say around $900 to $1500 for the J head Bridgeport, depending on condition, maybe more if there is any tooling involved. Not sure about the Enco.

Back