What's new
What's new

Help to identify bridgeport mill collet

Digahole78

Plastic
Hello. I have recently inherited a bridgeport mill. I have been unable to identify the collet type. The cutters are straight with a threaded section on the end which screws into the collet. The collets have a step on the upper most edge. The collet is retained by a collar. My guess is they must be at least 20 to 25yrs old.

Any help much appreciated. I am in the UK if that helps with identifying.

Ben

Hello. I have recently inherited a bridgeport mill. I have been unable to identify the collet type. The cutters are straight with a threaded section on the end which screws into the collet. The collets have a step on the upper most edge. The collet is retained by a collar. My guess is they must be at least 20 to 25yrs old.

Any help much appreciated. I am in the UK if that helps with identifying.

Ben

UK, and threaded ends, the "usual suspects" are either Dormer's Fastlock or Clarkson's Autolock.

Search on those- UK eBay will have some of each - see if one or the other matches what you have. If so - the info is "out there" with a bit more searching.

Ex: "http://www.denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1057"

Last edited:
Lots of info here, including collet dimensions on this page. Check out the other pages for the whole story.

Bridgeport Accessories

End mills with threaded shanks are a UK thing, seldom seen in the USA, so I don't know what your machine uses for collets.

Larry

I have attached an image. Hope this helps.

o7t7v9.jpg

Thanks for all your help so far

That’s a Titanic collet chuck made by Osborn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To add to that, the Titanic came in large and small and yours looks like an early large version
Mal

And just to double check, Clarkson and Osborn were the only autolock chuck to use a 20tpi thread (unless there were other manufacturers making copies that I’m unaware of). So check the collets for that thread.

Back