What's new
What's new

Help with identifying 2 bridgeport mills and CNC conversion

swarf_sandwich

Plastic
Hi all,

I work in a small machine shop at a university research center. I am not a machinist or engineer by training, though I do make simple things here and there. We mostly make flat parts (flanges, adapter plates, etc) and other one-of parts. In addition to making whatever parts are needed for our research, the workshop is meant to provide students with machining and fabrication experience. The students do a lot of the actual machining.

We have two Bridgeport mills of unknown provenance (we got them used from someone a long time ago).

My first hope is that someone could help identify these mills. I couldn't find any obvious model numbers, though one of them has the model number 115769 on the base.

(If you click on the images, they will enlarge).

Machine 1:
mill_1.jpg
mill_2.jpg
mill_3.jpg

Links to higher res versions:

mill_1.png

mill_2.png

mill_3.png

Machine 2:
Bridgeport_rotated_1.jpgBridgeport_rotated_2.jpg
Bridgeport_rotated_1.png
Bridgeport_rotated_2.png

They seem to run fine, though I'm not an expert.
Right now they have DROs and Machine 2 has a power drive on the X axis.

I'm considering a CNC conversion for one of these machines (maybe through Centroid?) The goal being to enable the production of slightly more complex parts (if only in the number of features/cuts) and to create an opportunity for students to learn working with G code. We don't need more than ~5 thou precision on most things we make.

If anyone has any input on what these mills might be, if they're worth upgrading (given our goals), and any other suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

EDIT: I have read several posts here about CNC conversion, and I realize that CNC capability can be acquired by purchasing a used VMC. However, I don't think this option would work in my situation, because of the administrative issues involved with a new, large machine like a VMC. We are not a production workshop, so the automatic tool changing isn't as critical. It would be much easier for us to upgrade an existing machine than purchase another machine, for the same amount of money.

Cheers,
Swarf Sandwich

If you can, edit your post so the pics come in the correct way (not sideways), will do a world of good to anyone that wants to help.

You got a round ram Bridgeport with a step pulley head and a "normal" Bridgeport with a step pulley head. The things you would need to know when ordering parts is that you have a step pulley head and the length of your table. What parts are you needing?

I don't deal with any CNC retrofit kits still available that do G code, so I can't offer any advice on that. We do new MillPWR G2 retrofits, but those can't write programs in G code, they are conversational code controllers that can edit G code, but not write the program in them.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

I would not bother with the round ram, a garage guy will pay you too much for it

CNC Bridgeport iron is some of the best knee mill iron available, has ball screws and a real Z axis system.

I would buy one of those

You can get on for less than the cost of ball screws

Bridgeport did make good knee mills, but the American made versions (Boss 1 to Boss infinity) didn't hold up very well and it's hard to find one where the controls are still working.

But..... Bridgeport Machines Ltd made Bridgeport knee mills with Heidenhain controls that lasted quite well. They're not bulletproof, but close. For 5K, you should be able to find one in working condition. One can code at the pendant in conversational or G-code, parts are still available and support is still free from Heidenhain USA.

Bridgeport did make good knee mills, but the American made versions (Boss 1 to Boss infinity) didn't hold up very well and it's hard to find one where the controls are still working.

But..... Bridgeport Machines Ltd made Bridgeport knee mills with Heidenhain controls that lasted quite well. They're not bulletproof, but close. For 5K, you should be able to find one in working condition. One can code at the pendant in conversational or G-code, parts are still available and support is still free from Heidenhain USA.

The iron on the two is identical, and I would say the US version is superior[the Interacts all seem to have noisy heads, while my R2C3 is quiet as a mouse]

The BOSS controls are throw aways, that is understood

I would not suggest running an original Heidenhain unless, like me you have extensive experience and a cabinet of spares. They are 30+ years old and not supported any longer

With the estimated price of the control and ball screws, you may want to include re-scraping the ways. Your typical worn Bridgeport can still make good parts in the hands of an average-joe machinist, but the control doesn't know how to play with the gibs and locks.

I work at a college. No way I would fix those up. Putting a new $20K control on an old machine? When some other part breaks and is expensive to fix (spindle goes out, needs rescraping as it wont hold tolerance) you have to explain why you put that money into an old machine. Tell them a new machine is SAFER. It has an enclosure, cant reach in and get hurt, what is a student touched it? More productive, lower maintenance, lower labor cost, etc. Look at a haas TM-1

And to those of you saying find a used machine. I would be shocked if they let him buy an old used machine.

The college may act like they are broke. But they have money for pet projects. They can afford a new machine, they just dont want to.

Back