What's new
What's new

HELP NEEDED: Cant get the steel ball out of the hand wheel cluch.

Jeremiah L

Plastic
Any tips on how to get the steel ball out out of the hand wheel clutch? The ball bearing looks like it is impacted into the hole and won't come out. The ball and the hole look clean, the ball is just lodged into the hole.

Ive tried shaking the feed reverse knob back and fourth.
Ive tried putting a air hose over the reverse clutch rod and blasting it with compressed air.
Ive tried to extricate it with a strong magnet.
Ive tried blasting it with WD40 and PB blaster.
I used a needle to try to dig out and burrs or debris from the hole...

Is there a way to get the shaft out without taking off the hand wheel clutch?

9bR0pNN7SKOoO9dBfiw1rQ.jpgrZDlzLIXSW6Pqz376Ww5%w.jpg7333C33F-85D1-4FED-8AE2-A536337726AF.jpg4CD36302-29FD-4B91-AC14-C4DA62F37F30.jpg

Welcome to one of the royal pains on a BP style mill !! I don't want to think about how many of those I have fought over the years. But it usually comes down to oxidized oil holding it from falling out.I usually use a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone as a penetrant . A thin ring of dried oil will keep the ball from coming out. Why are you trying to fix in that area? By the way WD 40 is totally useless as a cleaning penetrating fluid. I also use Marvel Mystery Oil and acetone as a cleaning as Marvel has strong detergent action for cutting oil gum.

I got it out. I pushed a section of air hose over the reverse clutch rod and used 120psi shop air down the shank while I picked at the hearing with a needle. It flew out across the shop, and the job turned from trying to get the bearing out to trying to find it on the shop floor... lol

I'll post a video of what I did tomorrow...

Ah yes !! BTDT !! I worked part time at a tool dealer shop owned by a friend of mine and 98% of the power down feed issues were caused by old gummy oil.And the air hose trick was one I have used also.

Back