Help please , bridgeport series 2 special power feed
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help please , bridgeport series 2 special power feed

Hi all, the X axis power feed on the BRIDGEPORT SERIES 2 SPECIAL where I work is not functioning properly.

This machine only has X axis feed.

When engaged the speeds are erratic it speeds up and slows down randomly.

Where should I start?

Could it be as easy as the adjusting potentiometer on the control box / panel?

Pics coming soon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails millpwrfeed1.jpg   millpwrfeed2.jpg   millpwrfeed3.jpg   millpwrfeed4.jpg   millpwrfeed5.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm certainly no expert on these drives, but over time pots get worn/dirty and need replacing. It's an easy thing to try.

I would call H&W and see what they suggest. They are a great firm and help many Bridgeport and other machine owners out.

Ted

3. Likes HWElecRepair liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When was the last time the brushes were replaced?

It also looks like it has not been taken care of very well. When was the last time the gear box oil level was checked. I'd be willing to bet that it is empty because all of the oil leaked out long ago and the worm gear is running dry.

The control box is also not original so who knows what is going on internally as far as bad connections and maybe a bad SCR control circuit.

That is the first thee things to check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ziggy is definitely on the right track. If you are getting erratic speeds, your brushes possibly are short or the spring is condensed and are not making good contact with the armature. Also, take the motor off and then apart. You will probably find that the motor is gunky and covered in oily carbon crap or that the armature is so black and covered in carbon.

I just clean the armature with scotch brite and a dental pick to clean between the teeth.

Jon
    H&W Machine Repair

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy2 View Post
    When was the last time the brushes were replaced?
    The control box is also not original so who knows what is going on internally as far as bad connections and maybe a bad SCR control circuit.
    While its no standard, the box is a Bridgeport box and control panel. I mean this panel definitely has seen better days, but I would say its BP setup. I think I have seen them more on the Series II Specials than on full blown Series II machines. I think I do see more of the actual Series II mills having the big power feed motors, not the 6F/8F power feeds. The panel has power feed directions, spindle fwd/rev, and I think even a coolant button. We just rebuilt a Series II Special with it. I wonder if I have a pic of it. Well, I have a picture of the mill, not of the control panel. lol

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all for the info on where to start. Ill dig into it when I get a bit of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I removed the motor and it was very black and oily gunky inside. I cleaned it per Jon's instruction and reassembled it.

The brushes are not short but sticky in the bore so I cleaned and fixed that.

Ive kept an eye on the oil level in the gearbox and it has never been low and it is nice and clean.

I need to re seal the motor to the housing and re fill the oil and be done with this phase.

I may replace the pot in the panel just for good measure.

Jon - H&W do you have a pic or drawing of the labels on the control panel?

ETA : So I have 6f A model power feed with a bunch of butched and missing parts.....
    Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, we don't have drawings for that and I dont think I have a picture of it. I will look at the shop next week and see if we have another Bridgeport with one of those boxes on it.

The oil will always get into the motor, its a crappy design the way they did it. Use a heavier gear oil, we recommend a 90 weight gear oil, and that will help a whole lot with the oil leaking.

You can replace the pot if you want, they are cheap as all get out. However, I have only every changed 3 pots for being bad... just sayin.

Jon
    H&W Machine Repair

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Jon. I found if I looked at it on an angle I can read the old faded labels. Our book also has an electrical blueprint in it with the box labeled.

I only pulled the motor so only a little bit of lube came out and I filled it back up with 90 wt.

What is the " Optical" switch / stuff for? A centering device or?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not sure what "optical" switch you are talking about. Please advise.

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup, that's a pretty old machine, all right.

"Optical" refers to a visual scale with magnifiers and verniers too, IIRC. They're a purely mechanical analog version of measuring that predated DRO's- quite an improvement over counting leadscrew turns and fractions thereof, but not nearly as convenient as the DRO's that made them obsolete.