What's new
What's new

Help...Stuck Jacobs Chuck

Orphanbrg

Plastic
I'm in need of some advice.

I was looking over a 1948 Round Arm M Head Bridgeport a local guy has for sale when I noticed that the mill doesn't appear to have a drawbar in it but the Jacobs chuck is stuck fast in the spindle. Any suggestions on how to safely get the chuck out of the spindle? Also, what is the best way to determine if the mill has a MT#2 or B&S#7? The guy is selling off a basement full of machinery and tooling collected over a lifetime by a deceased relative and doesn't know anything about what's there. After spending a couple of hours poking around, the only tooling I've been able to find for the mill is the stuck Jacob's chuck and from the looks of things I'd say he only used the mill as a drill press.

Thanks

Is the spindle hollow? Like it had a drawbar and it was taken out? Or is the quill lowered a little to hide the drawbar? I'm not familiar with a machine that old so may not apply, mine is from early 70's;)

To be honest, I don't know. I assumed the spindle was hollow and required a drawbar and didn't climb up to check. The top of the spindle is threaded above the end of the spline. Assumed it was for the cap that attaches (?) or centers (?) the drawbar.

The M head had a retainer to hold the draw bar. It also was used to eject the taper as the draw bar could push the taper out. The M head could be #2 Morse, #7 Brown & Sharpe, and "B3" taper. The latter being pretty rare.

M Head Parts.jpg

Back