What's new
What's new

Help with an un-identified base w/M Head

HWElecRepair

Hot Rolled
So, I am gonna go ahead and be "that guy" who is asking what the freak I now have. Ive been wanting a Bridgeport in the garage (mostly for woodworking) but also to make stuff as a hobby. We had picked this up from a customer and it is now gonna be mine. I am gonna be doing at least a full tear down (cleaning and painting) but am not sure if I will be "rebuilding" it (just to make sure @JR doesnt get on me for doing a rebuild when its just clean and paint) or not.

Anyways... It has an M head, SN-11,271 but I don't believe this is a Bridgeport base. From everything I know about BP and have been reading about, this does not at all look like it was a normal BP base. I can't see any identifying marks and simple google searches for old mill and drill bases doesn't bring back any results that look anything like this. The head can raise and lower, and it looks as if the knee can as well. It also looks as if the table/saddle can actually rotate on an axis as well.

So... just wanted to see if anyone has seen something like this. If it ends up being a BP base, I will post the pics as I tear down and put it back together.

Jon

PS- @JR, I went through like 4 titles to make sure I dont get put on blast for a bad title.

m head.jpg

The base looks like a W.B. Knight drilling and milling machine. Maybe a no. 1-1/2 or no. 2. There are a good number of threads here about them. Search for "W. B. Knight" or "W.B. Knight" and you'll find all sorts of info.

Irby

The title is OK. That is not a BP base, it will take me a while, but I've seen the base before. I think maybe a flat belt jig mill.

I don't think it needs to hang on the wall like that. I'll check, but I think it can sit on the floor. :D
JR

@IrbyJones yes it looks just like that! I have been googling it and it looks like mine is a kinda stripped down version of that. Well I wont be posting any rebuild pics of it then, but I am gonna get it all looking pretty and running good. Luckily, I know a few good head rebuilders :D

@JR I dont understand why you think it shouldnt hang on the wall. It makes it ideal for drill picture frame holes.

Thanks for finding this out, I am gonna try and reach out to the company that bought the rights to it and see what I can get and find out about it.

Jon

Back