What's new
What's new

HLV-BK half nut help

Seekins

Stainless
I just purchased what i was told was a 70's HLV-H....Turnes out it is a 58' HLV-B (maybe BK) and its in need of repair. Unfortunatly, i cannot source factory parts.

Does anyone have a old parts lathe ? I need both sides of the half nut that clamps around the lead screw.

I was fortunate enough to speak to the last owner of the lathe (I purchased the lathe from a dealer) and he said it was working perfect when he went out of business so . I got it for a ok price and its actually in good condition, so with the word of the last operator i decided to restore it instead of fight with the dealer i purchased it from. Now im in the process of painting and trying to find this one part that i need to get it going again :)

I have searched for hours on here and found some helpful stuff. If anyone can help, please contact me.

What is the thread diameter, pitch and form on a Hardinge HLV-B lead screw? I have some Hardinge taps, though it would be a long shot on having the right one for you.

If we knew the thread, we might suggest a nut from a different machine.

Larry

Im not sure what the pitch is, but will figure it out tomarow.

I found some long acme bronze nuts and hope that they have one that i can split and braze back into position. :)

Last edited:
When you look at the screw, pay attention to the thread form. In the period that your lathe was made, Hardinge was still using square threads on some feed screws, along with some acme threads on others. If the screw has square threads, it won't help to find an acme nut.

It is easy enough to tell the pitch of a 10 TPI or 8 TPI screw with a 6" scale, or even a tape measure.

You may need a caliper or micrometer to get the diameter.

Larry

Larry, Im still without parts on this

It IS a acme thread, 1" 8tpi.

How much different are the newer Harding half nuts?

I will most likely braze on a acme nut, but would rather find a replacement part. I don't have time to make the part or i would.

Someone called me and said they could make it for me, but i couldnt understand their return phone number. If you read this, call me again :)

Seekins,
I’m in a similar position regarding HLV-BK half nuts. What did you finally do?

Back