What's new
What's new

HLV-BK half nut missing

Evanokeson

Plastic
I have recently purchased a hardinge hlv-bk lathe and among the few parts missing is the half nut. I found one on eBay and have decided it might be more cost effective to attempt to make my own. (machined, or possibly 3d printed given the proper material) Hell, I don't really know rates for getting something milled on a cnc but I think that might even be cheaper given I provide a fusion model. Anyway, my question for anyone out there is if someone has a half nut for this machine that would be able to give me a handful of dimensions for me to make a model in fusion360. Also some detailed photos of one would extremely helpful. I'm fairly certain I can reverse-engineer one with taking measurements off the machine and a bunch of trial and error. if anyone has any info or wants to let me borrow their half nut it would be greatly appreciated.

If you can get something close made from delrin, you can heat up the leadscrew (don't freak out.. something like 350f is all that is required) and close the half nut on the screw and the threads will be generated. drill the hole a little larger than the pitch diameter of the acme thread.

One difficulty you may run into is you need to heat up the plastic at the threads fast enough to create the threads while not soaking into the plastic enough to deform the half nut under the pressure of closing it.

I have recently purchased a hardinge hlv-bk lathe and among the few parts missing is the half nut. I found one on eBay and have decided it might be more cost effective to attempt to make my own. (machined, or possibly 3d printed given the proper material) Hell, I
don't really know rates for getting something milled on a cnc but I think that might even be cheaper given I provide a

I’d also very carefully scrutinize the leadscrew for wear, especially near the headstock.
Are you sure the halfnut is all that is missing?
Have you called Hardinge?
I think you’d want a halfnut done on a lathe and not a mill...

What is the thread on the leadscrew (diameter, pitch, hand and form)? Hardinge was using some square and some acme threads in the 1950's when that lathe was built. I have various taps, but don't know your size, though I do know the form is acme and the pitch is 10 on the HLV-H lathes. Seems like you could start with a block of bronze with the correctly tapped hole to make your missing parts.

Larry

I’d also very carefully scrutinize the leadscrew for wear, especially near the headstock.
Are you sure the halfnut is all that is missing?
Have you called Hardinge?
I think you’d want a halfnut done on a lathe and not a mill...

I haven't called hardinge, but I wouldn't imagine that its very cost effective either, or they would be willing to give me technical drawings of their half nut. I guess its worth trying.... lathe, mill whatever machine a company would use to cnc machine it would be up to them. I also stated, "among the few missing parts" so no its not all that is missing.. I may call hardinge regardless and see what if any info they could give me on the matter.

the thread is a 1"-10 tpi ACME. Having that tap would be my ticket to making the piece myself. that is probably the route I will wind up going... I believe McMaster has that size tap available.

Evanokeson,
I’m in the same position regarding HLV-BK half nuts. What did you finally do?

Back