What's new
What's new

HLV to CNC: Any conversion tips?

jools

Aluminum
Hi All

I'm converting my HLV to CNC and just wondered if anyone had done it before? Mainly looking for how people setup their cross slide motor and ball screw configuration.

Cheers

Jools

What is the bed width on a HLV? I tool the carriage off a HXL several years ago and scrapped it. The bed width is identical to an HLV-H. The CHNC used the same bed with. Whether you could find parts and adapt the ball screw I am not sure. A fair number of CHNCs were adapted to Omniturns so there may be spare parts around.
You might look at brochures and parts manuals for the 2 machines for ideas. I do have the Z-axis ball screw and mounts from my HXL that I saved for another PM member but he never took it so it is still laying in the corner. Mounts would be hard to adapt for a manual lathe.

Omniturn takes the carriage off entirely and clamps their own axes to the bedway.
Basically, they are using the spindle.

I wish Omniturn had not gotten out of conversions. They were sued several times and got tired of it. The last time was a fellow using a glove with rubber dots to feed PVC pipe through a rotating spindle. No fault of the Omniturn unit, just lawyers suing everyone in sight. I have hand fed bars with rotating spindles my whole adult life, would never do it wearing gloves, and especially not with "dot" gloves, that is just plain stupid.
I think I bought the last "conversion" for my HXL.

Last edited:
The Babin is good for ideas. I think his control is only for generating threads and eliminating the gearing. Never seen an HLV so I am not sure what the differences are and how it would effect doing a CNC conversion.

I'll have a look at Babbin and see if I can find any pictures of the omniturn.
They sound like god places to start.

We have been offering a HLV-CNC conversion with the Centroid CNC control for over 20 years. We do machine out the crossfeed area for the ball nut. Original carriage handwheel and xslide crank operate electronic MPGs. You can probably glean more info from our web site babinmachine Good luck as a beautiful lathe to start with for a retrofit conversion. PB

We have been offering a HLV-CNC conversion with the Centroid CNC control for over 20 years. We do machine out the crossfeed area for the ball nut. Original carriage handwheel and xslide crank operate electronic MPGs. You can probably glean more info from our web site babinmachine Good luck as a beautiful lathe to start with for a retrofit conversion. PB

Yeah I'd had a look around, they look like real nice conversions.

I think you've been speaking with Dave N. He's looking at buying the potentiometer and shunt motor from me that will be redundant. Just trying to test the shunt motor now, with it being DC I think I'm going to hook it to my 48V CNC power supply to see if she spins. The potentiometer seems to work, the resistance changes as I turn it so that's a start for that :-)

Back