it just looks ugly etc. I guess I could
go on but you get it.
I’d like to get everything on the
inside in the proper place but often
times things are better placed by
end users. So I’d like to know if
most everything is the same from one
machine to the next that have the same
options anyway. ThanksDAC21A7E-B195-46BA-B096-ADD01E87D90A.jpg0B7324C8-CFD1-4505-A50D-F161BC51FADD.jpg

Sorry the pics are sideways to the left, if someone
could fix that I’d appreciate it. I took the pics
with the camera upright, instead of on the side so I
don’t know why they keep ending up like that.

Sorry the pics are sideways to the left, if someone
could fix that I’d appreciate it. I took the pics
with the camera upright, instead of on the side so I
don’t know why they keep ending up like that.

You should find serial # and then get the machine year.
You should also find the electrical diagram number and voltage(s) of your machine. (Should be on the outside of the electrical cabinet)
Call Hardinge with this info.

The plate should look like this:
24bfa28f8b3fc1730e843ff91f2f4bd9.jpg

Mine both claim they are wired 480V-ish.
Here’s the inside of a cabinet:
f7b527e0951b547120f5b5f9e3f42a4c.jpg

I have a couple of diagrams, but GE Labs altered the wiring a bit on mine to add a receptacle and also an E-stop

To answer a couple questions:
I don’t know whether or not the lathe has been rebuilt.
The wires do seem fresh and the sheathing is not cracked
or falling off.

The Main motor is 440V 1.5 HP
I don’t know about the Transformer.

Here’s the Electrical Print.EDB85027-909F-4409-9451-489A02972FD4.jpg

Well I thought it would be viewable but I guess not, I do
have it on a flash drive in PDF as well.

black cam

I am wondering why the black cam looking
thing is only about half as long as others?

That long cam shaft on mine, is the HI-LO speed lever; it has 6 cams, assuming they are for the 600V. 3 phase motor: 3 contacts for LO, and 3 for HI selection. In LO, it'll go from 125 to 1000rpm, and in HI, 375 to 3000rpm
The operating lever on top of the shaft bracket, is the same on yours, so I'm assuming yours is also a speed lever control, but yours being a 440v., is where I quit; I'm no electrician.

Attachments

• _DSC0560_01.JPG
    _DSC0560_01.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 100
  • _DSC0707_069.jpg
    _DSC0707_069.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 88
I am wondering why the black cam looking
thing is only about half as long as others?
From what I have read the contacts on the “black cam” have had problems with the contacts failing. And at some point someone has come up with an alternative wiring design using the Allen Bradley relays that eliminates use of cam assembly contacts.

Previously I posted a picture of the layout in my cabinet in hopes someone might recognize the wiring and know who might of design wiring layout. At some point I know my lathe was rebuilt, I am just not sure when it was done. Talking with some of the Hardinge rebuilders and also the service tech I had come out and inspect my lathe once I had ran all the power. They all told me the same thing that my electrical cabinet was not wired in known factory diagram. Normally on the last line of the machine tag it will indicate what schematic reference number was used.

The bed on mine was reground as part of the rebuild. You might measure your bed plate thickness, it should give you an indication if it was rebuilt. The Allen Bradley relays have worked without any issues. They are loud when energized. If you ever figure out who might of design the wiring layout please send me a pm.

Hi jersey john ,

Can i have a pdf copy of your wiring diagram please , and what year it’s your lathe ,

Thank you
Regards
Cesar

I’m getting closer to start diving in to working on my HLVH.

Can someone chime in and tell me the brand name of the Electrical panel that’s on the Side of their HLV-H?
I’m wondering if most are the same brand and size?
I’m still wanting to buy a new box and mount it on the side. Thanks

Well here's an English HLV-H control box but some is NON standard.

View attachment 271982

My machine was produced as a "One off" for the German market and has a THIRD speed range from 40-250 RPM.

Enjoy

John:cheers:

Hi John, I'm only a very recent convert to this Forum. But, you've got me all excited - I remember that machine being built. You see, I was a Hardinge UK apprentice, starting 1965, then becoming a skilled fitter building HLV-H's, DV/DSM 59's etc, before finally working in the drawing office for 2 years before I left in 1979.

Your machine control panel was built by F&R Cooling, a company near the Exeter factory (I think they were based in Cullompton, Devon, UK). I think the panel contactors were made by Telemecanique (a Schneider brand) and were beautifully made, very good quality and much quieter than MTE controllers. If the rest of your machine is in similar condition to the electrical panel, then it's in very nice order throughout. I expect it's painted in RAL green with black Kopex electrical conduit, the original sales dealer in Germany was a chap called Herr Schuster, who made several factory visits with his buyers during my employ.

Back