What's new
What's new

HLV-H Hairline Cracks On Headstock - How Concerned Should I Be?

Veebee

Plastic
While cleaning up this new-to-me Hardinge, I noticed every time I'd come back in the morning, there'd be oil drips in the same place on the headstock. Upon further inspection, there are a few small cracks in the headstock that slowly weep over time. It's very slow, but it gave me pause so I thought I'd ask the hive-mind if I should prioritize getting those repaired. My guts says to just keep it oiled up, and it shouldn't matter too much. Just don't want a crack-in-the-windshield situation where you're fine until suddenly you're not.

IieSS4y.jpg

JsWXiH9.jpg

so8i8K7.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

It is common for the thick paint on old Hardinge machines to crack, peel and flake. That cracking would allow trapping of oil and solvents wiped over the paint, perhaps for cleaning. It would be very odd indeed for the iron to crack. The spindle bearings are greased for life, so there should be no oil inside the headstock, which makes me confused by the comment, "My guts says to just keep it oiled up..."

Larry

It is common for the thick paint on old Hardinge machines to crack, peel and flake. That cracking would allow trapping of oil and solvents wiped over the paint, perhaps for cleaning. It would be very odd indeed for the iron to crack. The spindle bearings are greased for life, so there should be no oil inside the headstock, which makes me confused by the comment, "My guts says to just keep it oiled up..."

Larry

Thanks Larry, don’t let my inexperience with Hardinge bake your noodle :)

I appreciate the response. Sounds like it’s no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For the reasons Larry stated I don't think it's possible for the headstock to leak. Maybe look up, is your roof leaking?

Hit the crack in the paint/bondo with a high
pressure air hose. The air will cause the
bondo to crack off.

--Doozer

For the reasons Larry stated I don't think it's possible for the headstock to leak. Maybe look up, is your roof leaking?

That was my first reaction since it's been raining. Definitely oil(ish) though.

You can see what Larry's talking about in your photo on that linear crack where the gray paint is oozing oil. The paint, primer, and/or filler (I think all the reddish material shown in your photos is filler) can delaminate and trap oil. My Bridgeport does this in places on the knee. My "solution" is to take a toothbrush and mineral-spirits and rinse and scrub the area to get some of the oil out, then paint it with a small brush and some gray Rustoleum alkyd enamel (can be found in the cans in walmart and other stores). I keep a jar of that rustoleum thickened with some of the solvent evaporated for such touchups. It takes a rather long time to dry (dependent on temp), but holds up pretty well, and still sticks and dries with extraneous oil around.

I'll give it some extra attention with some mineral spirits. Thanks for the sanity check!

If those were red tear drops then the Pope would be interested.

lol

You can see what Larry's talking about in your photo on that linear crack where the gray paint is oozing oil. The paint, primer, and/or filler (I think all the reddish material shown in your photos is filler) can delaminate and trap oil. My Bridgeport does this in places on the knee. My "solution" is to take a toothbrush and mineral-spirits and rinse and scrub the area to get some of the oil out, then paint it with a small brush and some gray Rustoleum alkyd enamel (can be found in the cans in walmart and other stores). I keep a jar of that rustoleum thickened with some of the solvent evaporated for such touchups. It takes a rather long time to dry (dependent on temp), but holds up pretty well, and still sticks and dries with extraneous oil around.

You clearly have too much time on your hands!!!

Back