What's new
What's new

Hlvh carriage lock, adjustable?

sam_stlouis

Cast Iron
The carriage lock on my hlvh, firms up movement but does not securely lock it down. It's like an offset shaft that when rotated pressed against something to lock it. Is it adjustable inside the apron, or does the shaft or whatever it presses against wear down in time. I'm doing maintence so now is the time to do any work, if it's major I won't worry about it, but if it's an easy fix I'd like to do it
Thanks sam

Digging through parts diagrams looks like the eccentric shaft pushes a block against the gib, so I'm assuming it's a wear issue. Not an adjustment issue. Or do they just not really lock the carriage in place that good to begin with. If it is wear does anyone know what item normally would get worn.

Hi Sam ... there is no adjustment that I'm aware of ... the only thing you can adjust is the position of the locking lever as its on a splined shaft. If you need to then undo the retaining screw, lift the lever boss off and re-position as required.

John :typing:

Mine was worn very slightly at the eccentric but mainly at the lowest end of the shaft just a little ( maybe 0.010 )but enough to cause the same problem. I think it was more of the bore that it sits in at the bottom that was the issue as I cleaned out a lot of gunk/swarf with a drill bit turning it by hand. I cheated and added a small layer of braze and then turned nearly all of it back off testing as I went along. Works great now but next time I will just make a new one to replace it.

Back