Hlvh carriage lock, adjustable?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hlvh carriage lock, adjustable?

The carriage lock on my hlvh, firms up movement but does not securely lock it down. It's like an offset shaft that when rotated pressed against something to lock it. Is it adjustable inside the apron, or does the shaft or whatever it presses against wear down in time. I'm doing maintence so now is the time to do any work, if it's major I won't worry about it, but if it's an easy fix I'd like to do it
    Thanks sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Digging through parts diagrams looks like the eccentric shaft pushes a block against the gib, so I'm assuming it's a wear issue. Not an adjustment issue. Or do they just not really lock the carriage in place that good to begin with. If it is wear does anyone know what item normally would get worn.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Sam ... there is no adjustment that I'm aware of ... the only thing you can adjust is the position of the locking lever as its on a splined shaft. If you need to then undo the retaining screw, lift the lever boss off and re-position as required.

John

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine was worn very slightly at the eccentric but mainly at the lowest end of the shaft just a little ( maybe 0.010 )but enough to cause the same problem. I think it was more of the bore that it sits in at the bottom that was the issue as I cleaned out a lot of gunk/swarf with a drill bit turning it by hand. I cheated and added a small layer of braze and then turned nearly all of it back off testing as I went along. Works great now but next time I will just make a new one to replace it.

Colchester UK (where the lathes used to be made)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you can only adjust position of the lever on the spline. The lock is usually ok if the gib is adjusted properly.

bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My guess is that the lock is designed so as not to damage anything if for example the lock is engaged with the half-nut engaged, or carriage feed, and is not intended to lock it rock-solid. I can turn the carriage handwheel without a huge amount of force with the lock engaged, but you definitely know it's on. It's intended to lock it "good enough for all practical purposes".

7. Likes Mark Rand liked this post