What's new
What's new

HLVH slow speed wont work, high speed does

valleycycles

Aluminum
Hello all knowing Hardinge folks.
My HLVH, having the traditional 2 speed motor no longer will start up in low speed. It looks like its trying buy cant seem to get going. Starting up in high speed is fine. Then I switch over to low speed and it runs fine in low.
Seems like an issue somewhere with a start up capacitor???? Too much static load and not enough amps to overcome the spike???
How can I fix this?
Thanks for any suggestions

no start caps ina three phase motor :-)

sounds to me like you've lost a phase on the low speed wiring somewhere. Check first for loose wires around the main switch , contactors and OL relays. From memory the hlvh has overload protection on both speeds so check continuity across the 'heaters' If the wiring in the main box is ok , check wiring in the motor connection box . The motors hardinge used were some of the best available so is probably the least likely to fail.

Bill

Probably open circuit on one phase in high speed.

Check all of the motor to switch wiring and all of the slow/fast switches with a meter and eyeball. Obviously with the power disconnected...

Last edited:
Check the contacts on the low speed relay. I had to replace the contact on mine, had a contactor in the tool box and it happened to interchange (single contact).

My HLVH, having the traditional 2 speed motor no longer will start up in low speed. It looks like its trying buy cant seem to get going. Starting up in high speed is fine. Then I switch over to low speed and it runs fine in low.

The high/low control arm rotates a black plastic piece inside the control cabinet. The piece has cams along the length that push on switches. The switches will connect the high/low speed wiring to the motor. When I have a issue like yours it always turns out to be this black plastic piece and those switches.

The high/low control arm rotates a black plastic piece inside the control cabinet. The piece has cams along the length that push on switches. The switches will connect the high/low speed wiring to the motor. When I have a issue like yours it always turns out to be this black plastic piece and those switches.
You may be correct I did not go look at mine again so maybe there is not a low speed contactor. I just threw the forward and reverse switch back and forth and could hear the contactor cycling. That was probably the one I swapped out the contact. If one of those goes out it might affect high and low speeds.

Back