What's new
What's new

hoping someone can identify this bridgeport mill

stealyourface

Plastic
Hi all,
I am in the process of building my shop and feel that it is time to invest in a mill. Being a frugal man, as well as one that enjoys restoring machinery, I have made the preliminary decision to buy a project mill. Machinery is somewhat hard to come by in my local area so I have taken to online auctions nearest to me. This has led me to the following mill: BRIDGEPORT MILL FOR PARTS (FIXABLE)
It includes no model or serial number information, nor pictures of any nameplates. If anyone out there could take a stab at possibly identifying the model of this mill, I would greatly appreciate it. I know it is very little to work with but it is all the information the auctioneers have provided. Also, if anyone has experience restoring bridgeport mills and could provide me with some general information on the sourcing of replacement parts and the like, that would be great.

Looks like a run of the mill ( pun intended) J head. That being said, considering the lack of tooling, need of unknown repairs, and missing parts......that think could nickle and dime you to death.

Here in the northeast that thing wouldn't bring more than 3 to 5 hundred. Even if you could get it for $200, keep in mind that if it has a nasty surprise like broken spindle, bad motor, bad spindle bearings, you might wish you never saw it. Then there's the lack of tooling.....and where'd all the levers and handwheels go? Probably robbed for other machines.

Also be sure to consider moving costs. Many of these auctions require you to use an approved rigging company, at least to move it our of the building and load it on your trailer. Hate to see you get a nasty surprise extra cost for a move.

I see BP's pop up occasionally here in the north east for $1000 to 1200 that are complete, and include a vise and some tooling.

And another thing, if you don't have 3 phase power, plan on having to buy a RPC or VFD.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm raining on your parade.

Lastly, consider other brands.

I got a deal on my Wells Index because most guys want BP's and overlook other brands.

I've seen clapped out Bridgeports selling for more money than a clean ENCO badged clone with light wear on it.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Model and serial number are not relevant for finding parts or a manual, just that this is a Variable speed Bridgeport aka Vari-speed.
Pick a manual:Bridgeport Factory Literature
Parts are available and there are a number of sources.
Worst case is a bad motor and that is rare.
Search the past threads about Bridgeports.
John

Back