What's new
What's new

How to connect a Heidenhain rod 426 encoder to cnc control.

repot

Plastic
I own a Hardinge HXL. However, the cover and the original control have been removed. I bought a new cnc control and I would like to connect the heidenhain rotery encoders. The type is Heidenhain ROD 426. Maybe someone is familiar with these encoders and can confirm how they should be connected. They have 10 wires with the colors: white (thick), white (thin), brown (thick), brown (thin), black, red, green, pink, gray and blue. Any help is much appreciated!

Rene.

I have two HXL Hardinge lathes--all were made in Exeter Devon England--of two hundred believed to have been produced, estimated 100 were shipped to North America, remainder distributed worldwide--the finest toolroom lathe extant---after tail stock modification to manual from pneumatic

the rod 426 encoder is superb--likely the finest rotary of its class with ttl 5 volt standard

here is link to catalog download--you will need to puzzle out connection based upon your new control input requirements--if you specify the retrofit control we may have additional user input

http://www.powertronicsinc.com/prodImages/2013/HeidenhainRotaryEncodersCatalog.pdf

Thanks for the information! The new control is an ADTech 4620. The documentation is very complete with detailed pin layout. How did you modify the tailstock to manual? Mine is still pneumatic controlled.

so I referenced user manual--encoder connections are most simple---4 wires--power is +5vdc and ground

channel A and B encoder connections are noted
additional reference of A, A- and B, B- --referred to as differential encoder connect and preferred by Heidenhain

tailstock mod required full teardown, using donor leadscrew, cutting screw nut out of delrin and disabling live spindle

keep air lift to tailstock base for ease of movement--I will pt up pic

Attachments

• lkj.JPG
    lkj.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 1,023
  • yt.JPG
    yt.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,196
  • oppo.jpg
    oppo.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,664
so I referenced user manual--encoder connections are most simple---4 wires--power is +5vdc and ground

channel A and B encoder connections are noted
additional reference of A, A- and B, B- --referred to as differential encoder connect and preferred by Heidenhain

tailstock mod required full teardown, using donor leadscrew, cutting screw nut out of delrin and disabling live spindle

keep air lift to tailstock base for ease of movement--I will pt up pic

Back