What's new
What's new

How do I remove the Feed Trip Bracket?

Frank R

Stainless
20210819_131930.jpg parts.jpg

I have an old J-Head Bridgeport. It had a cracked Feed Trip Bracket when I bought it. I bought a replacement part and tried to remove the broken one a few days ago. I thought it was just a matter of removing the two screws, but the Hand Wheel Clutch would not come off. I see there is a ball bearing inside the Hand Wheel Clutch. Does the Feed Reverse Knob Assembly have to come out first?

The mill is currently at my brother's place 90 minutes away so that complicates things.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Part 113 has to come off first, Mine was tight even after removing the spring and ball. I think I made something like a a slide hammer to hook in the hole that the spring & ball came out of then hammered away. Part 111 looks pretty chowdered so you may want to file off / stone any burrs that will impede getting 113 off. Once you get 113 along the shaft so it clears the collar use a small prybar or screwdrivers to help it along. With that removed the body can be removed with the 2 screws you refer to.

Hi,

Part 113 has to come off first, Mine was tight even after removing the spring and ball. I think I made something like a a slide hammer to hook in the hole that the spring & ball came out of then hammered away. Part 111 looks pretty chowdered so you may want to file off / stone any burrs that will impede getting 113 off. Once you get 113 along the shaft so it clears the collar use a small prybar or screwdrivers to help it along. With that removed the body can be removed with the 2 screws you refer to.

So, I hate to admit this, I did remove 113, not knowing there was a spring and a ball there. I kind of forced it over the ball, damaging it a bit. However, I was still unable to remove 106.

Back