What's new
What's new

How Does the Quill Feed Work????

billyjack

Plastic
Hey Guys and Gals.
I'm new to bridgeport operation and have no idea how the quill feed is suppose to work. I have the trip lever adjusted to it trips out but is the quill suppose to reverse???? I just today replaced the feed reverse knob and can't get it to do anything. It's suppose to be a three position with up, neutral, and down as selection. Mine doesn't do anything!!! Any idea why. Also, the feed when engaged comes down to the trip point and trips out the clutch. Is it suppose to reverse??? I have a decent parts manual but the operational part is lacking but the illustrations are pretty good. Can someone help. I love this old machine.
Bill

Sorry for the lack of information guys, trying to get this all in!!! The model is a 74 2J2 2HP variable mill. I've just finished refurbishing it and am trying to get all the bells and whistles working as designed. Lots of cleanup but Old "molly" is worth it.
Thanks again.
Bill

#1 engage the quill feed mechanism on the right hand side of the head.
#2 Pull out the ball and rotate the arm to the rear and make sure the plunger engages in the hole (use regular drive -not back gear for now).
#3 The knob in the center of the "fine feed" handwheel needs to be either pulled out or pushed in (usually easier to do once the spindle is actually rotating). Once the knob is either in or out, you should see the handwheel start to rotate (clockwise or counter-clockwise).
#4 pull the trip lever out on the left side and it should snap into position and stay. At this point the quill will start to drive in the direction determined by the handwheel rotation.

You might want to play with manually using the "fine feed" handwheel before using the autofeed.

And in addition to what Jim said, the feed is not supposed to reverse but just stop going up or down.

If your quill return spring is functional and you are feeding down with no tension on the quill lock the spindle may pop up when the feed kicks out and leave a tool mark in the bore, chip your tool bit, etc, but the feed is not designed to reverse.

Good luck, Doug Baker

Just the extra fancy California models. ;)
They never shipped any to you nutmeggers.

What I'd really like to know is how to make it
stop pecking.

What I'd really like to know is how to make it
stop pecking.
use a smaller drill ;)
The max size for drilling with power feed on a Bridgeport is stated as 3/8". I have gone much bigger but then the pecking comes along, nice feature ;)

Hood

The adjustment is under the cover on the left hand side. Its been a long time since I did mine and cant remember the exact procedure but if I remember correctly you just need to screw up the half of the clutch a bit to increase the spring pressure. I think there are a couple of setscrews there to slacken off first. The teeth on the clutch could be worn though so maybe even with increasing the pressure it will still slip.

Hood

LOL, the one at my grade school would peck with a 3/32" drill in brass. I'm surprised they didn't incorporate the feature as a +.

I'll have to see how the new one behaves, for right now I've taken off the back speed belt to reduce the bearing noise. I hope that's not a bad idea.

Pecking is because the the clutches are shot. You can try increasing the spring pressure. Remove the clutch cover, just slide off the clutch assembly, loosee the set screws, hold clutch with one hand, tighted half turn or so on the nut, retighten set screws. While its in your hand look at the clutch teeth, they should be almost sharp if not replace BOTH pieces. The other clutch half is removed This way. Important, lock the quill lock first, remove the quill spring retainer screws, let the retainer unwind. from the clutch end remove the snap ring (long snap ring pliers needed) that hold the inner clutch on, then push out the quill shaft until its through the inner clutch gear, with a screwdriver wiggle the inner clutch gear out, unbolt the inner clutch from the bronze gear, then reassemble in reverse.
TRICK when the time to wind the quill spring comes, leave the snapring about 1/2" from its groove in the quill shaft, wind the retainer 1 1/2 turns, then install screws in the retainer, then holding the end of the quill shaft a the spring end, slide the snapring into its groove. (don't ask why I know this) I grease the surfaces with silcon grease. No more peck drilling. AIR the two clutches are $50 or so.

my wheels don't slow me down

LOL! I get it now.

Please, accept my apology for thinking you were to lazy to pull the quill handle. LOL!

I'm going to try it next chance i get. :D

sorta, but used thread to figure out how to use the automatic quill, hence 68 year old learning how to use puter and Yes I don't have a manual

I'm just a plastic, but been machining since I was 16 yo in Vo-Tech, first class in my HS

I thought I was doing good, by using search
Thanks for the lead on parts, maybe a worthy sticky?

Back