What's new
What's new

How is the E/M different from the basic HLVH?

There is a gearing change in the cross slide when you change from inch to metric not just 2 different dials. Never owned an EM so there may be more differences.

How about a totally different quick-change gearbox for threading?

I have both an HLVH and an HLVEM. I don’t know about totally different but yes the gear box is different. There is a dial that swaps gears in and out to go from English to metric on the EM. Also the EM has additional gears. For example my EM can cut 30 tpi. The H cannot. This actually came in handy, once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imperial (driven) dial has a 127 tooth internal gear in it, metric (loose) dial has a 125 tooth internal gear. There is an idler that engages with both at the same time. meshing isn't perfect, but it works.

But the big difference is the second gearbox, metric threading, on the outboard end. The E/M dials were available on other machines than the E/M

Yes, all that above plus the price premium. An E/M sits at the top of a very popular and pricey lathe name. Billtodd mentioned the digital alternative which was about $3500 the last time I looked. It is a step more convenient than the E/M and cuts a wider variety of pitches. Even tapers. Very sexy.

If you are making custom threads all day long in a time-is-money business, an E/M would have been the best choice in a Hardinge 30 years ago. There are better alternatives now.

If a guy just wants a sexy machine, the E/M is it.

If a guy just wants to cut English and metric threads there are two other choices, as far as I know.. Assuming you have an English machine, there is a metric banjo that can be outfitted with the 22dp 100 to 127 translation gears and specific pitch gears. I see the parts come available occasionally. They tend to be very expensive and make the digital conversion attractive.

The other alternative is the standard Hardinge banjo outfitted with off-the-shelf 20dp change gears. The system uses 37 to 47 translation gears. I can cut all standard metric pitches with 7 gears that I bought from the local AIT for $292.82 last February. When I want to cut English pitch, I just loosen the banjo bolt and let the assembly swing down out of the way. When cutting metric and the banjo assembly is engaged, the standard width door even shuts. Very sexy in a more mature older woman that knows what she likes, knows what you like and takes her time kind of way.

There is a large thread on this site by a guy named Peter. There is enough info to put together the 37-47 set. I will help if you have questions. Otherwise, get an E/M. They're expensive but they're sexy.

Thanks, I was interested in knowing if there were other visual differences than just the dual read dials.

As far as the gearbox. Single shift knob on the HLVH, and two on the E/M? Seeing pictures online, of both layouts, described as both models.

More out of curiosity than anything. Are the E/M's actually marked as such on their data plates?

Well.
Someone just bought a decent looking E/M with a tray of collets and a Newall DRO, for just under $12K Canadian.

Downside. 575v power required.

But, 30 years old (which, as far as I can tell, makes it about as new as you can find) and institutional, so likely well taken care of.

Went a little past my ready cash, so...someone else gets to pick it up! Lucky them.:cheers:

Crappy pictures of the main decal showing model and such, had me asking. And the dual dials. And the English Metric selector(barely readable in the listing photos).

FWIW the site it was on no longer supports searches for past items. Which kinda sucks.:mad5:

So, if it's one of all y'all out there...Ya done good, IMO!

Back