What's new
What's new

How is "high-low speed clutch control" used?

FlyinChip

Aluminum
It's the lever on top of the BP (series 1 step pulley)which moves a ring 90 degrees. The machine has a back gear lever lower on the head so what is this "hi low" clutch thing used for?

Did a search but didnt find much...

Sort of like a back geared lathe, the Series 1 BP gives you four speeds in "open belt" and four much slower speeds in back gear - albeit in reverse (one of the reasons you can reverse the motor)

But there's a back gear lever on the side, and that hi-lo clutch on top. Do you disengage the top clutch, flip the back gear lever then reengage it?

But there's a back gear lever on the side, and that hi-lo clutch on top. Do you disengage the top clutch, flip the back gear lever then reengage it?

Its been fifty years since I was around a series 1, but if I am anywhere near remembering right, its FLIP the top / ENGAGE back gear and reverse motor

You can test this before ever running the motor by simply pulling on the belt to see if I was right

( and way more than fifty years ago I was a little south of you at Quonset Point - being a Navy person)

Attachments

• johnny.jpg
    johnny.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 43
My Dad served a year at Quonset as a Lt, around 1955 in fact he was paymaster there. I grew up a couple miles from Quonset. Remember all the cool planes constantly flying over. In machinist school last year, my instructor (he's 75) had started there in the early-60's working on F8 Crusaders...

After the navy bailed in '73, it sat decaying for a while. But now it is RI's #1 industrial park, plus Electric Boat is expanding to build around 40 new subs. Two huge buildings just went up there at EB.

Back