What's new
What's new

How to identify power feed model/type on bridge port to get parts?

woodsrider845

Hot Rolled
Anyone know the model/ identifier for this style feed? I think the guy tried to change feed rate while engaged. Blew two teeth, and broke the handle casting, so I need some parts.

Thanks

IMG_20200106_123558_hdr[1].jpg

Far as I know there was no official model number. Everyone calls them gearbox type power feeds or, when they pull them off " 'kin heavy sucker".

Bridgeport stopped making them sometime in the 1960's and went over to the electronic variable speed type.

No chance of new parts so, realistically, you will be looking for a good used one to rob parts from. Broken handle seems to be a common issue.

Objectively best off fitting an import power feed and selling yours to the guy who wants parts.

Clive

Huh, that sucks. I doubt he'll spend the money to fix it, then. On the other hand, I'll probably be given a super tight, cherry condition m-head, with no power feed.

Anyone have a used working and/or parts box?

What gear did you chew up? We have a few of these torn apart for spare parts and we might have the gear.

Jon

Thanks for the reply. I need this gear and the handle, too, if available. Let me know.

IMG_20200107_091100_hdr[1].jpg

And if possible, a diagram of how it goes together. It was disassembled when I got it here.

Thanks.

The situation might happen again in the future. To prevent it a red light should be activated when the feed motor in the back of the gear box is running.
With the stock feed all you get is a power on/off switch to the little three phase motor. A interlock mechanism would be better.

As it is those feeds are plenty hard to make gear shift changes when they are just at rest. Sometimes the Y screw has to be jiggled right and left a little.

It takes quite a bit of force to break a handle. It's not made from pot metal.

If that gear had to be replaced and I couldn't get the exact replacement then I would braze in a couple of teeth from a similar profile gear.
Next to last resort would be to go to a professional welder and build up the metal. Then break out the set of files and a Opti VISOR.
Last resort is to get a Servo power feed.

20200108_132724.jpg

Here is what I believe you are looking for. The gear from the picture and the feed handle. You can have them both for $150($75 each) plus shipping.

I dont get on here much during the day, so if you wanna talk about it please call 800-285-5271

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Thank you, Jon.

I just left a message for you with a very nice woman at your shop.

I left my name and phone #, and will follow up with you in the morning. I will take those parts.
Thanks again,
Pat

Back