How to know if a Bridgeport is refurbished - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I needed a nice Bridgeport and had the funds, I would be all over this one!
    You should buy it before someone else finds out where it is.....if you decide later you don’t need it, you can easily get your money back!

That machine looks original and well taken care of?

Please post pics if you do end up buying the machine?

Kevin

2. Likes 50Rod liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The machine is probably the real deal, but would definitely follow Lucky7's advice and put an indicator on each of the ways to have a number.

I once read here that the factory flaking was originally about 4 thou (don't know if that's true or not) but if so, the machine can have quite a bit of wear and still show flaking. Based on the looks of the table, my guess is that your DTI needle will hardly move when you check the ways.

$7Gs is a lot of money, but imo that machine is probably worth it. I put a lot of money rebuilding the head on mine and replacing all the bearings in the base. New screws, new feed nuts, etc. I have about 5 grand in it without counting my time. Although I can see some flaking in all the ways, there is a lot more wear than the pics of the machine you are looking at.

4. Likes 50Rod, TheOldCar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 50Rod View Post
    As others concluded, definitely chrome ways, and not a lot of wear. The BPorts made since sometime in the 80's (I think) were routinely chromed as a standard practice, whereas earlier ones had chrome ways as an option and were marked with a "Tibon" chrome ways label, at least when they first started offering the option. If the machine is 1996, definitely chrome ways, plated over the scraping. I have a machine of sightly older vintage, right around 1990, and the ways are chromed and starting to show some wear, but overall pretty good. It helps a lot for longevity. Your machine looks quite nice. I'd buy it if I had the money and needed one.

6. Likes 50Rod liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the insight! I am currently selling some less important items to fund this purchase. The fellow that owns the machine is not in a hurry and it has never been listed. Ill post better pics when I get it in my shop.