What's new
What's new

Hydraulic fluid for True-Trace system

PCFree50

Plastic
I am setting up a 3D True-Trace B360-3D. The original manual calls for Mobil Velocite "S" oil from Socony Mobil. I have contacted the local distributor for Mobil and no one seems to know what "S" means or the viscosity it would be. They say Velocite is classified with numbers for the different viscosity.
Have also seen Velocite is $20+ a gallon!
Is there an alternative that I can use successfully??? What viscosity oil is used?

While we are at it, if I hit the jackpot and hook up with someone who knows these things, the next question is the minimum it needs to run the pump motor. I don't have access to three-phase so I am using a 7.5HP converter and my J-head motor is only 1.5HP and the contactor is heating up and tripping. I am hoping that running the 5HP pump motor will settle the voltage down and run better in phase. The reservoir holds 45 gallons.

"Velocite is $20+ a gallon"

Will last a long time, yet $20+ gallon whisky is gone in an evening.

Hope you don't have to choose one over the other.

Old timer, yeah I resemble that.

Back when we had Tee head B'ports or HES tracer lathes in the 70's , it was simply AW-32

I doubt the 5HP pump is going to fix your RPC idler issue as the pump is always fully loaded, only adding to the problem.

That said a B'port J should be able to run on one of those little 2HP static converters as long as you don't do more than the allowed stops and starts per hour.

Using the spindle motor for dynamic braking will overheat thermals pretty quick on a static 3 phase converter.

Ebay has one for sale with a picture of the Tag on the side of the pump unit that shows some options of oil to use.
Bridgeport Series II Tracer Mill | eBay

I used one for years back in the 70's and early 80's. I never did any maintenance on the machine, so I can't help on that. We used it to cut mold parting surfaces. Good luck.

I am setting up a 3D True-Trace B360-3D. The original manual calls for Mobil Velocite "S" oil from Socony Mobil. I have contacted the local distributor for Mobil and no one seems to know what "S" means or the viscosity it would be. They say Velocite is classified with numbers for the different viscosity.
Have also seen Velocite is $20+ a gallon!
Is there an alternative that I can use successfully??? What viscosity oil is used?

True-trace profilers use mobil Dte 24. Your local oil dealer can find you an equivalent. I have used these many years and performed all maintenance on them. When wiring one up you have to get the hydraulic unit pump motor rotation correct. There is an arrow showing the correct direction on the top of the motor.
They are a level of automation that is still useful for certain jobs. Good luck.

To the OP..
Hey is your BP wired for 440 and your feeding it 220 from your converter ? That will run things but cause the heaters to trip.
I looked up the type "s" oil years ago and it came out to something odd like velocite #6 or something.. A real odd oil.. I'm with the guy that posted the dte 24 post.. I kinda settled on that for my tru-tracer..
Hope that helps
Stay safe
Calvin

I had a Lodge&Shipely Copymatic, it used Mobile DTE 24 also. The Velocite is a spindle oil, It is not a hydraulic oil, at least I have never seen it applied that way.
Locally there have several of these old tracer mills up for sale.

Yes, the heaters tripped. I switched out the N29 heaters for the N16 that ran the J-head and it runs fine now. I found three N37 heaters for the replacements on the 5HP hydraulic motor.

Back