Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hydraulic fluid for True-Trace system

I am setting up a 3D True-Trace B360-3D. The original manual calls for Mobil Velocite "S" oil from Socony Mobil. I have contacted the local distributor for Mobil and no one seems to know what "S" means or the viscosity it would be. They say Velocite is classified with numbers for the different viscosity.
    Have also seen Velocite is $20+ a gallon!
    Is there an alternative that I can use successfully??? What viscosity oil is used?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While we are at it, if I hit the jackpot and hook up with someone who knows these things, the next question is the minimum it needs to run the pump motor. I don't have access to three-phase so I am using a 7.5HP converter and my J-head motor is only 1.5HP and the contactor is heating up and tripping. I am hoping that running the 5HP pump motor will settle the voltage down and run better in phase. The reservoir holds 45 gallons.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Velocite is $20+ a gallon"

Will last a long time, yet $20+ gallon whisky is gone in an evening.

Hope you don't have to choose one over the other.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No "old-timers" out there with knowledge of these old tracers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Old timer, yeah I resemble that.

Back when we had Tee head B'ports or HES tracer lathes in the 70's , it was simply AW-32

I doubt the 5HP pump is going to fix your RPC idler issue as the pump is always fully loaded, only adding to the problem.

That said a B'port J should be able to run on one of those little 2HP static converters as long as you don't do more than the allowed stops and starts per hour.

Using the spindle motor for dynamic braking will overheat thermals pretty quick on a static 3 phase converter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ebay has one for sale with a picture of the Tag on the side of the pump unit that shows some options of oil to use.
    Bridgeport Series II Tracer Mill | eBay

I used one for years back in the 70's and early 80's. I never did any maintenance on the machine, so I can't help on that. We used it to cut mold parting surfaces. Good luck.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PCFree50 View Post
    I am setting up a 3D True-Trace B360-3D. The original manual calls for Mobil Velocite "S" oil from Socony Mobil. I have contacted the local distributor for Mobil and no one seems to know what "S" means or the viscosity it would be. They say Velocite is classified with numbers for the different viscosity.
    Have also seen Velocite is $20+ a gallon!
    Is there an alternative that I can use successfully??? What viscosity oil is used?
    True-trace profilers use mobil Dte 24. Your local oil dealer can find you an equivalent. I have used these many years and performed all maintenance on them. When wiring one up you have to get the hydraulic unit pump motor rotation correct. There is an arrow showing the correct direction on the top of the motor.
    They are a level of automation that is still useful for certain jobs. Good luck.