What's new
What's new

Identifying age of a DV59 by Serial Number

dv59

Plastic
Hi,

Just purchased a DV59 and the serial numbers is: DVB 59-5862-3. I'm trying to figure out when this was manufactured. Moving from woodworking to metals and I have started welding but I stumbled upon this and was taken with the design and potential in a home shop. I can already see that this is a gateway drug to a Bridgeport mill. I appreciate the help. Once I have it cleaned up and the power in place I'm sure I will have real questions for the group.

Thanks,

Rick

IMG_7719.jpg

That is a 1946 model (built in 1957 per the 1966 serial number book) DSM-59, as well as I can tell from the low resolution back view you posted. There was a major redesign in 1960, and the first of those was serial no. 7200. The turret and double tool cross slide you have are very handy for making batches of identical parts. There are dozens of useful tools that fit the turret and lever cross slide, each suited to certain operations.

You can get a slide rest (the thing with two cranks to feed the tool) and a tailstock with a crank-feed Morse taper ram that will fit your lathe and then you will be better equipped for making one or a few identical parts. With those two items included when sold, Hardinge called the lathe a DV-59.

Hardinge sold a tee-rest for these lathes. You can turn metal with wood lathe tools, which I suppose you have and can use.

Larry

Wow....thanks for the quick response. Looking forward to getting up and running.

Back