What's new
What's new

Identifying mill and judging value

Harrymank

Plastic
This mill sells on an auction tomorrow and I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth picking up.

28C792FD-5923-490D-AE6C-15010DCD679B.jpg

This is the only description available unless I try to contact the owner.

Bridgeport Metal Mill, Bridgeport EZ Trak Plus System, Kurt MFG Co Precision Vice, Acu-Rite Precision Guide, Bijur Spraymist Coolant Unit, Seller Has Never Tested Unit

It looks like it may need a bit of work but it’s hard to tell. My old man has two lathes in his shop and I’m interested in adding a mill to the collection.
CFA90800-FC64-494B-A5D3-CCD7170F137F.jpg

It looks like they moved it out of a shed for pictures, there’s a forklift right behind it. Currently it’s at $1450.

That's an older control. If it's functional than you've got a good basic 2 or 3 axis CNC machine. If it has issues, it's dead weight and you are essentially buying a manual Bridgeport knee mill. You might be able to get parts for it and make it work, but my point is IMO it doesn't add to the value of the machine unless you know it works.

There are a lot of guys that will tell you to steer clear of a "retrofit" like that (manual mill with CNC control, and go for an actual machining center, but I think they have their place so long as the price is right. They are a step up from a plain manual mill.

Running condition is everything for a CNC. Not being able to see/hear it run is about the same as not being able to start/drive a used car. This mill is even worse becauses it's been stored outside. You don't get that amount of rust from just taking pictures.

How big a gambler are you. If the CNC does not function, it would be at the high end for me right now.
JR

Those units sell from resellers for about $10k-$12k. I am gonna go ahead and agree that without running it, you are buying a manual mill. Don't even take into account that it has anything on it if you cant verify that they work.

Plus in the picture, the motor doesnt even have the cover on it. Something so obvious as that missing makes me wonder what else you cant see is gone...

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

I can see the new post now; "I just won a CNC Bridgeport on auction. The machine is in perfect condition, but needs a little work. I ran power to it and it doesn't do anything. Please help! Newbie"

Maybe I am getting too cynical.
JR

Back