What's new
What's new

Inherited a bridgeport

pilot&mechanic

Plastic
I have recently inherited a Bridgeport from a family member and looking for some beginner guides to milling machines and some manuals of machine it self.
The Bridgeport has a model J milling and drilling head, an infinitely variable power feed unit, and a lubrication system.
Thanks for the help

Have a look at the info on the lathes uk website ( I typed in bridgeport lathes uk)
Lots of info available online about milling in general which will get you started. You could also get some apprentice training manuals if you are new to the game, theyre a good start.

If you have no machining experience, I recommend getting a trade school metal shop text book on ebay /amazon. Mostly for information on shop safety. Any hobby is no longer fun after an injury. There will also be basic information on running mills, etc. If you google "bridgeport j head pdf" you can find manuals online.

From there, youtube is great because, you can not only find videos on how to run these machines but can also find other enthusiasts making projects at all skill levels, including some true masters. T nuts are a typical beginner project and something you will use.

Lastly, Machinery's handbook ( i bought a 1940s edition) is a great resource for all sorts on information.

YouTube is a great resource. It's one thing to read how a machine works, but to watch a pro explain it and use it is another...

Kieth Fenner [Turn Wright]
Adam Both [Abom]
Tom Lipton [Ox Tool]
Mr. Pete [aka TubalCain]

Don't overthink it, too much. Learn a little bit and then get some metal and start making chips. Experience is one of the best teachers!

One of the things I remember as a beginner was what sharp tools could do. I started out using used end mills exclusively, most of which needed to be sharpened when I got them. When I got my hands on a brand new end mill, it was a real eye opener to surface finish and how smooth the machine really was. Some of my first projects were pretty ugly, but I didn't have anyone available to tell me why. Being frugal is one thing, but knowing when to throw in the towel (and buy some decent tools) will make your experience a pleasure instead of frustration.

Some guys get all the luck. All I ever inherited was male pattern baldness...

As did I. Far the better deal, actually.

About the time of the first open patch, an egg-bald friend of mine and his brand-new second wife were over for dinner.

He grinned and said:

"You have NO idea what you have been missing until YOUR new wife plants a seriously intense kiss right in the middle of that bald spot!"

She was standing right behind my chair, and she took the hint!

Bridgeports? I understand some folk learn to love them, but still..

Never yet met one as could cause me to excuse myself from the dinner table with a hard-on...

:D

Back