Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see in the lathe picture that the big lever on the front for forward and reverse is still present. I cannot see if that lever is connected to anything. On an older machine, there would be a smaller drum switch next to the motor speed selector drum switch, and a rod would connect the big lever and the F-R drum switch. The cabinet has holes to mount an F-R drum switch and pass a control rod for one. I think this lathe may have a reversing relay (3M) instead of a drum switch. There should be a switch (SS1) to operate that relay, and a way to manually operate that switch.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like a great deal. I have one I bought new about the same vintage. I have all manuals and schematics if you need something. I have a newer DRO also, the original crapped out after about 20 years. Treat it right and it will be a joy to own. 000_0059.jpg

3. Likes smithprocess liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post
    I see in the lathe picture that the big lever on the front for forward and reverse is still present. I cannot see if that lever is connected to anything. On an older machine, there would be a smaller drum switch next to the motor speed selector drum switch, and a rod would connect the big lever and the F-R drum switch. The cabinet has holes to mount an F-R drum switch and pass a control rod for one. I think this lathe may have a reversing relay (3M) instead of a drum switch. There should be a switch (SS1) to operate that relay, and a way to manually operate that switch.

Larry
    Chalk this up to me being in the same room as an hlv-h for the first time ever here, but... what big lever for forward reverse? When it comes to “big” levers, I’m counting 2: the threading carriage direction lever and the low/high speed spindle selector. What am I missing?

The little switch on the front of the electrical panel labeled “forward / reverse” is not wired to anything inside the panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    Looks like a great deal. I have one I bought new about the same vintage. I have all manuals and schematics if you need something. I have a newer DRO also, the original crapped out after about 20 years. Treat it right and it will be a joy to own. 000_0059.jpg
    Looks beautiful

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post

Larry
    You are thinking in terms of HLV land...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by smithprocess View Post
    Chalk this up to me being in the same room as an hlv-h for the first time ever here, but... what big lever for forward reverse? When it comes to “big” levers, I’m counting 2: the threading carriage direction lever and the low/high speed spindle selector. What am I missing?

The little switch on the front of the electrical panel labeled “forward / reverse” is not wired to anything inside the panel.

I do not have an HLV-H. On the Hardinge lathes I do have, one big lever does the high-off-low motor speed and the second big lever does the forward-brake-reverse. I guess the holes for mounting an F-R drum switch are there on the HLV-H because the same base and electrical cabinet were also made to work for the TFB-H lathe which has no threading capability.

Anyway, you have switches and a diagram, so you just need some wire now.

Larry

8. Likes smithprocess liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, good news. It's legit, and it's mine.

The guy that I talked to on the phone didn't know the whole story. The guy I met today did.
    Lathe was built in 1983 (verified by serial number), was in operation for 2 years in a prototype room at a big tech company here, and then went into a storage when they "upgraded" to cnc. It sat in storage until 5 years ago, when the current owner (previous owner now! woohoo!) pulled it out with the intent to use it - he installed the dro, and the light and... then it sat until now.

He was actually able to borrow a RPC and power it up for me. Super smooth, zero vibrations all the way up through the rpms. Everything works as best I could test it, and there isn't a nic anywhere on this thing.

I brought home the first load of parts today. Including a mag chuck, and the original paper work on the lathe! how cool is that!?

I am beyond stoked!

Ok so you warrant a big-azz "You Suck"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're correct, that's it on the later models. Again, I think your problem is simple and a result of someone adding and clipping that keylock switch, which is not stock.