What's new
What's new

Interact 4 series 2 buying advice

RickyE

Plastic
Hello. Im new here but looking abit of advice. Im curretly looking at buying a bridgeport interact 4 series 2. I have worked as a machinest for a number of years and have took the leap of going out on my own very recently. Currently doing small numbers of simple jobs, but have been asked if i can do more advanced milled parts so a cnc has to be bought. Currently running 2 manual machines(lathe and mill) off a very steady 3 phase 25kva generator, im not on a massive budget but would be willing to stretch it to get the right machine.

My main reason for not going for a larger machine is mainly space and a lack of main 3 phase, other wise id hold off untill i could afford one with a atc.

Do these machines run ok on a generator? i know its a risk compared to mains 3 phase supply, but i cant justify spending 15k on getting that into a rented shed.

I currently have 2 machines in mind, both have air drawbars and all the rest the only main difference i can see is the controller, and the price. The first has a tnc155b and the second has a tnc370. I have programed with a tnc370, although it was on a vmc500, ive never programed with a 155b controller.

both seem in good shape, when running there is no jumping or strange noises. the second machine is a 1996, and is the newer bridgeport colour of like a light cream. the other age is unknown, but assuming by the controller it is older than the second.

My main question is, is it worth spending extra to have a newer controller? the second machine will stretch my budget by the time i bring it home, but it is cleaner and newer. The first i can afford comfortably, leaving more for extra tooling and such.

I know in the end its got to be my decision but ive never owned any cnc machines myself and would greatly appreciate any advice yous could give.

I think you will find the TNC155B and the 370 very similar in coding needs and again very similar to a TNC151.

I use a TNC151 post processor for my TNC355 driven Beaver Partsmaster mill with no issues

So I have an R2C3 older than either of those, but I think I would, at this point, advise against such an old machine. I don't think Heidenhain supports the 155, they no longer do the 145 or 151 for sure

Now the machine I have has been incredibly reliable and inexpensive, but I no longer use it to really make money.

to an extent, newer is better

As new and as reliable as your budget can handle.

Now, Heidenhain probably gets a decade on other controls timewise, but still.....

If it has the DC spindle drive, those definitely die and no one supports them

thank you for your replys, i have programmed with an older controller but cant remember what one, it was on a europa mill, similar to the bridgeport interacts in size and shape, but mostly been used to 410 or a itnc530, odd bit of fanuc but i would never buy a fanuc

ive found some more information on the machines
First one is a 1988, 155b controller and ex ministy of defence machine, but cant be seen running unless i go over to program it(thatll cost me 500 alone) as its mainland uk and im in northern ireland
second machine is 1996, 370 controller, and was in a university since new, also has the added bonus of coming with some tool holders, and i have been sent videos of it running already

personaly im leaning towards the second machine, it is a good bit more expensive, but less of a gamble, either machine will be more money than ive spent on anything and dont want to make the wrong choice

Back