What's new
What's new

Intermittent spindle noise on VMC600

matty123

Plastic
My 1996 Bridgeport VMC600, all of a sudden, has a high pitch whining noise that occasionally fluctuates, usually when the spindle is above 5000rpm. It doesn't matter what tool is in it or whether its cutting or not.

I've taken the case off the top of the spindle and the belt tension seems a little loose (although I'm not sure what it's supposed to be).

Has anyone got a manual or a guide for the VMC600 that would help with replacing the belt and setting it up correctly?

Or is it worth continuing to run it and see if it's coming from the spindle or the motor itself? If it's the start of worn bearings I'd rather know now.

Nobody? Anyway I had a few people around to listen to it and the conclusion was that the spindle bearings want replacing. Whilst getting quotes for rebuilding the spindle we replaced the spindle drive belt and the noise went away.
Still not sure if we got the belt tension correct, just made sure to not do it too tight, so any help/guides/manuals on the VMC600 would still be very useful.

Back