What's new
What's new

HLV TAIlSTOCK INTERCHANGE

brajaboy

Plastic
Hey everyone. Read many a posts creeping in the background but first time posting. I am looking at a hlv lathe but missing the tailstock otherwise well tooled, in great shape and great price. My question is are there any other models that this lathe can use the tailstock off? I found a few on the internet from other hardinge's that look the same but do not know enough about them to say yes or no.

HLV or HLV-H? Big difference, and some people, including people selling one, do not know or care.

The swapping can be done between an HLV and a TFB, the lathes built from 1950 to 1959 with 5" wide beds. Or you can swap between an HLV-H and a TFB-H, the next generation built beginning in 1960 with 7" beds. There are no other models that can swap their tailstock with either the 5" or the 7" bed lathes.

Larry

If you can get a deal on the rest of the machine, buy it and keep looking. If you don't care if it is original and plan on keeping it for a long time. You could probably make another machines tailstock work after you machine something that resembles the bed plate. As you know Hardinges tailstocks are one piece unlike most machines have top and bottom. You could make a bottom plate and use the top 1/2 of another machines Tail-stock. Might sound and look ugly, but could work until you find a real McCoy. Both would need to be fitted and the
make-shif will cost a bit to make.

Back